Author Topic: Got some old lamps  (Read 1904 times)

adje

Got some old lamps
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:53:02 am »
     Hey all, I just discovered this forum and an really excited to be a part of it.  Anyway, I was just given a couple of these really cool old lamps.  They have been sitting outside for a while but are not in bad shape, just a little rust and some dents.  So... I do not know anything about them, no name or anything... just looking for some info on these, anything would be great, age, value, who made them.  Thanks

waywardangler

Re: Got some old lamps
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:35:22 am »
Kinda look like old filling station lights to me, at least the shades do.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:45:51 am by waywardangler »

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:45:49 am »
They do look commercial in nature. Kind of looks like they were intended to be mounted on top of something else like a post or column of some sort.

adje

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:12:22 am »
Yes, right so far. They certainly do remind me of gas station lights. and I know they were mounted on top of a column or something as the conduit on the bottom goes down below the base. Not quite sure what Im going to do with them yet, though I am leaning to restoring them and selling, as Ive had a few people show some interest.  Any idea of what these things are worth?? 

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:36:41 am »
Can't say for sure what they are worth but if I saw them in a store I wouldn't be surprised to see a price of $200-400 for the pair. My question is would they be worth more if they were refurbished and painted or better left alone.

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:44:22 am »
Personally, I would leave them alone and let the buyer repaint/refurbish/rewire them.  They may like the pair as is and a new repaint by you may kill the 'old' authenticity they have.  I do not know about price but syl may be right.  Anyone into cars/garages/retro decorating would be after these.  Looking at the colors, they may have graced an old Standard Oil station in the 30s or 40s.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 11:58:44 am »
Agree with syl and wayward.

They do look like they are from an old gas station or from the 40's to 50's when people graced the piers along the beach.  I had heard these were called pier lighting - but am no expert on this by far.  Yep....it is called a pier light (some and if elsewhere is called barn lighting.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/40s-50s-Old-Gas-Station-Red-Island-Light-10-Tall_W0QQitemZ320508894268QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9fd19c3c

Betting you can get $400 easy per light - you can find all kinds of hanging ones.  However, to get some with these stands....you have something that is isn't seen much anymore!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-industrial-gas-station-island-porcelain-light_W0QQitemZ130377211489QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5b165e61
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:03:48 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

adje

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 03:33:35 pm »
Hey alright. Well that makes my day.  thanks for all the help.  I would really love to keep these but being in college i think they gotta go. look for them on eBay next week.  I got some more goodies for you guys to check out and cant wait to see what you all have to say. 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 03:45:06 pm »
Thanks adje, can't wait for more goodies  ;D