Author Topic: Violin  (Read 2930 times)

lekika

• View Profile
Violin
« on: March 28, 2003, 05:40:58 pm »
i recently picked up a violin at an estate sale. i purchased it because i play violin, (it couldn't hurt to have a spare), and i like the look of it.  it does need new strings and the bridge has to be reglued but other than that its in fine shape. it has 2 rows of inlay around the edge of the violin on both sides.  however, i'm still curious about it's worth... it has "copie de stradivarious cremeonentis faciebat anno 1721." it als says that it was made in france.  so clearly it's a knock-off.  i don't know the age but i'm assuming it's at least 50 years old.  i paid 50 dollars for it, which i thought was a super great buy for a violin... i know how expensive they can be.  i know that a violin is only as good as the sound it makes...so in that department i can't say how it sounds.  but i'm still curious about the worth.  any ideas?

Jessica

if you need pictures to more acurately assess it, i have taken them.  if you want to see them, email me lekika@comcast.net

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
Violin
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 09:07:09 pm »
If you have been following my posts, you will see that I use Ebay extesively as a refrence for prices. Why, because it is proof of what people will pay. I can assure you that the main place that most appraisers get thier current values is EBAY finished auction searches. It is an increible resource.

That said, here is a listing of  a search for strad violin, finished auctions.
 http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/se...ighestPriceSort

there were many knock offs (copies) , of various values. I suppose wht yours is worth depends on the violin itself, and not what is printed inside.
but you probably knwe that.. ;)

(I thought the bridge was suppost to float (not glued) over the "pin" inside?
 Dont take my word, I know only enough to be dangerous!)
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

lekika

• View Profile
Violin
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 09:27:20 pm »
yes i guess you're right, it's only worth as much as people are willing to pay.  i actually did notice the trend of you suggesting ebay.  before seeing this site i'd never really thought to use it as a price guide.  but it works pretty well... for me, i must have been searching for too much of a specific violin name because i didn't turn up with any hits.  thanks for your link.  i guess i was just curious most of all. i won't be selling it of course because i'd much rather play it.  besides, you can always use a spare.  :rolleyes:  we'll see how well it sounds once everything is fixed.  i think it's really exciting just to get another violin.
thanks again.
Jessica
ps you're correct, for the most part on violins the bridge is held in place, not with glue, but with the tension from the strings.  when everything is up to snuff condition, i'll see if the bridge can be just placed in.  

lekika

• View Profile
Violin
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 09:49:46 pm »
by the way, how do you seach through the finished auctions?  i keep getting all of the auctions that are currently in progress when i search on ebay.
thanks.

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
Violin
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 09:58:57 pm »
How does one access finished auctions, you ask??
simple.
1 Do a search for something
2 On the left side in the "display" window, click "finished auctions.

there are two benefits to this. One is you get to see 30 days worth of auctions (instad of max 10 days worth of current auctions)
and you get to see the price stuff actually went for.

TRY IT!

Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

lindsay wright

Violin
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 06:02:23 pm »
I was recently given a violin a(Antonins Stadiuarius) im not sure if its worth anythig or what the nmae means so if any one has ant idea about  this please E-mail me at ldiddyd@aol.com i would realy app. it

thank you  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Violin
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 06:13:15 pm »
:huh: dontbe is right it is one source used by appraisers.but not the only one. since the last survey only 33%percent of the people by on line.

findit

• View Profile
Violin
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 10:03:58 pm »
Very true, very true.
At least the GOOD appraisers use more than ebay as a source  :o

Its still a good place to start.  :D