Author Topic: Hand-carved bird from horn  (Read 1872 times)

cpayne

• View Profile
Hand-carved bird from horn
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:48:51 am »
This carving measures around 14" tall. It is thought to be carved in the Southeast and is over 50 years old. It has been in my grandmother's home and she would like to know if anyone can identify the artist or give any estimate of value. I have found similar carvings on ebay for around $15.00, but assume that they are not antique. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 10:44:28 am by cpayne »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Hand-carved bird from horn
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:00:02 pm »
Welcome to the forum , cpayne .

There appears to be some writing/signature at the lower portion of the horn ... what does it say ?

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:03:26 am »
Welcome cpayne,

are the wings spearate pieces of horn applied to the "body" or were they all originally part of the same horn and bent or steamed into their present form?  Horrible question, but are you sure it is horn and not plastic? There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site than I who can tell you how to differentiate between plastic and horn.

Also are there any marks on the wooden base?  Does it look as though the base is original to the figure?  If so, are there any markings on the base?  What material is the base?  It looks like wood from the picture, but can't tell if it might be something else.

from a pure aesthetic point of view, the figure is simply beautiful!  Your Mom has VERY good taste.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 08:13:28 am »
Your bird is from the Art Moderne time frame of the 1950's. Retro etc. it is certainly very well designed.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 11:20:12 am »
Yoo Hoo!!!!!!  Great to see yo on here D&b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:22:35 pm »
Double-ditto on the KC remark (this from regularjoe2 too) !

These horn items were one-piece , sometimes were manufactured with water-steaming process & also with mild acids (about household-vinegar strength) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

cpayne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:01:07 am »
Thank you for the warm welcome and the replies. There are no markings or signatures on the carving. The base is painted wood and the bird is made of one continuous piece of horn. The wings are bent from the horn and not separate pieces. Thanks again.