Author Topic: Antique Barber Chair  (Read 6968 times)

clipperbarbie

• View Profile
Antique Barber Chair
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:25:17 am »
I have an Antique Barber chair that I refinished. I left the mohair insides in tact. It has wooden sides and a porcelain base. I believe it is an early 1900 Koken. How do I find the value of the chair and a buyer?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Barber Chair
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 03:37:25 pm »
I am assuming it has hydraulics due to the style of the base....do the hudraulics work?

FYI...a great Barber museum that is renowned is at http://www.edjeffersbarbermuseum.com/  Unfortunately they don't have your chair in it.

The foot rest should have the Koken name on it.  The hydraulic base should also have information on it relating to Koken if in fact it is all original....includi ng model number etc....

Great article on Koken with helpful information http://www.riverfronttimes.com/content/printVersion/108613  The company is still in business today....under different owners....the article gives useful info on how to get more info on your chair if in fact it is all original.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:02:45 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 04:19:27 pm »
I sure thought adult barber chairs had a headrest.  A friend of mine has an antique barber shop in part of his house.  The one thing he's got that wasn't in the museum was a towel warmer.  It's a sperical thing that housed the towels and was heated by steam.  He's got the child's chair, mirrored back-stop, bottles of lilac, mug holder with mugs and lots of poles.  This is along with his antique drug store and train artifact museum.  In fact, his whole house is a museum...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 04:26:35 pm »
Not all had headrests....but ones with are the more desirable collectibles!

Remember the towel warmers!  Hot and slapped on the older guys faces before they got their shave!  Ouch!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 04:29:24 pm »
I tell you what.if you have never had a Hot towel shave.you owe your self one. they had them in okinawa in 1968. I would think chair would average $2,500.00 to $3,000.00 Dollars

clipperbarbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 09:14:24 pm »
Yes the hydraulics work. And the head rest and upper foot rest are missing. The plate on the lower foot rest says hydraulic,I believe it would have said koken on the upper foot rest. I wil have to check out the leads that were posted here and do some digging. thanks

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 10:17:07 pm »
clipperbarbie ....

The parts that you're missing can sometimes be found on-line ( in the event you want to complete the restoration & up the value of your chair ) .
I did a quick 'Bing' search & came up with quite a few parts available , historically .

avidgolfr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:21:47 pm »
Hi there...i also have a 1950 Koken porcelain barber chair that is mint condition...the hydraulics work....it has the headrest and the footrest also.   BUT....it has one thing that i think sets it aside from all others....it has an inscription on it that says "property of the United Nations".  Does anyone have any idea what its worth or where to find a buyer?