Author Topic: Info needed " Patent Pending" fireless cooker  (Read 2415 times)

Fade

• View Profile
Info needed " Patent Pending" fireless cooker
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:32:31 pm »
I bought something i thought was old chest or crate. upon research Ive discovered its actually something called a "fireless" cooker or a Hay stove. I did some research.
What I read about these items is that  before 1900 they were more commonly called hay Stoves and mostly home made. So im guessing perhaps a date on this item would place it between 1900-1910. I also read they were very common after the first world war. I am curious to know when these first started being manufactured that is the information i can not pin point, If we can pin point that, it would shed light on this item!

I have found very few being sold and they seem to have little value. The one MANUFACTuRED one I found forsale was made in 1910 and it was very fancy.  

However this one i purchased for 5$ at a garage sale interests me.
The one i have is very VERY basic. much less elaborate then the picture of the 1910 one i saw online.  there is a plaque the on front of mine it says

"Joliet" Fireless Cooker
PATENT PENDING
Builder Supply Co
Joliet ILL USA

so have no knowledge of this sort of thing, the fact that its extremely basic and at the time this particular one was made it was "patent pending" makes me think maybe this might possibly be one of the first ones ever manufactored. There is so little information on them.

I doubt it has any significant value , im really searching for more information and the story behind it. I love items with stories. and it will truly make a beautiful piece in my living room. However i do not wish to do anything more then clean the years of grime and dust off it , in case there is any value to it.

so if you know any bits of imformation i would be very happy to hear it!

my camera is not working so i had to use my phone. after spending 4 days cleaning it up i finally have it so you can actually SEE the wood. it must have been stored in a barn. it smelled of tractor oil and it had about a half inch of it over the entire box.  it was filthy.  Filthy doesnt even describe it.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:57:50 pm by Fade »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Info needed " Patent Pending" fireless cooker
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:49:46 pm »
THis might help.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5410205

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-National-Fireless-Kooker-Cooker-Wood-Case-Box-/300422462494

Couldn't find a patent for this company or any relation to Joliet Illinois or the style.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:30:48 am »
Neat! How does it work? Is it metal lined and you leave it out in the sun or something? I've never heard of one of these.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:31:57 pm »
talesof....these were used for many years by farmers, soldiers during the war, and in the area I grew up in they made the meals for migrant workers in these so they would have hot meals.

Some were heated on stove tops and the ones I was familiar with had stones that were heated in the ovens/on stovetops then placed inside - cooking pots were placed on top and continued to cook.  In essence....this was a precursor to the concept of a crock pot.  You would partially cook your meal and then place in the box and it would continue to cook using it's own heat or the heated stones/coils/etc.
[url]http://www.hearthcook.com/aaFirelesscooker.html/url]

These are still being used in 3rd world countries with success.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Fade

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 04:45:47 pm »
I see that alot of people still enjoy the style of cooking and even use them here ( in the US ) sometimes just as a hobby.

I found those ones up for bid but they vary so much in age and style.

Mine is in such poor condition and it doesnt have all the parts. Mostly just curious about the plaque on the front. its interesting! at the very least i can refinish it and make a table or something out of it. =-)