Author Topic: Antique/Vintage Pie Basket  (Read 2461 times)

jcomas311

• View Profile
Antique/Vintage Pie Basket
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:20:40 am »
Hello everyone, i have come across a a vintage/antique pie basket. There is no maker on it just someones name which under it says Costanza and a stamp that says L.1.W. I have done alot of research and found similar baskets but not the exact same one and not in complete and as good condition as mine. I was wondering if anyone could possibly date it, let me know if there is a market for these fascinating pieces, and give me a rough value. It is hard when coming across something that doesn't have a maker. I believe it may be handmade? Does it seem so? Thanks everyone here are detailed pics.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Antique/Vintage Pie Basket
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 01:21:33 pm »
Well, I didn't find anything under Costanza, and without a photo it is hard to tell if that was an owner's name or a manufacturers mark. The darkening of the wood around the nails at least tells us this is old, but how old may be difficult to tell. I've never seen one with an insert like that. Baskets were made in this style for many years and are still being produced now. My suggestion would be to post some pics on a forum for basket collecting and see if they can ID it.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »
Here is an article on identifying antique baskets

http://www.ehow.com/how_6002795_identify-antique-baskets.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 01:36:24 pm »
here is one i found that is just like yours, maybe it will help!

http://bn.ioffer.com/i/vintage-amish-ohio-pie-carrier-woven-basket-signed-207266950