Author Topic: Religious Carving  (Read 3441 times)

syl

• View Profile
Religious Carving
« on: May 11, 2010, 12:31:55 pm »
We have this wood carving of an angel that I think is pretty old. It came from my mother in law who had lots of religious things but this one seems to stand out to me. I am sure it was hand carved and hand painted. The halo is made of very thin sheet metal. It could be from Mexico or possibly Italy because the little cherubs, or putti, are more of an Italian thing I think. There is some pencil writing on the bottom but I can't make much out of it. Anyway, just wandering if anyone knows much about this sort of thing. Age. Value. Websites. I think I remember Dean saying he was interested in religious antiques. Thanks for any help.

waywardangler

Re: Religious Carving
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 12:39:57 pm »
WOW!  That is hand carved from wood and hand painted?  That is very, very nice syl!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »
Cool little item , syl .

Appears to be wood , gesso & paint ( + the metal 'halo' ) .

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:54:37 pm »
Agree it is a really outstanding item for sure.  Wish I knew more, looking forward to see what comes of this one for sure.  I would have to agree that it looks more european in nature then mexico.  If I was to guess at the age I would place it early mid 1900's, but would really be just a guess.  I did read about the fact that religious usually don't have really great value, but this item if any would be somewhat of a exception IMO.  Just wanted to pipe in a mention I think you have a really cool item here, and looking forward to see the end results.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:10:17 am »
Wish I could help Syl but I don't have a clue where or when this originated but I'll definitely keep an eye out for one like it.
Like the others I think its very nice.
The artist did a fantastic job with the facial expression and body language conveying the certainty of her faith... almost like she is looking at heaven.Great stuff.
Also love the flowing locks going down her back.Beautiful.
I've seen some intense bidding wars for religious items where serious money was involved.
IMO some of the best artwork and architecture out there is religious. You don't have to look hard to see  how many of the great masters used religion in their craft.
Thank you for sharing this beauty.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:00:03 am »
Beautiful Piece!  I absolutely love wooden carvings.  My family has been collecting them for years....especially ANRI's.

This is a real keeper!!!!!

Looks like it says "Go To Houra"  Which can be a religious meaning/or name of the piece.....or more likely a designation as to whom this may go to upon completion of the piece or the death of the owner.  Many artisans would write the names of consigness....and to this day many elderly write the name of the recipient of an item upon their death.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »
Syl, she certainly has a serene beauty!

Don't know if I'm just seeing things, but is there any chance there is a mark here................

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 03:54:22 pm »
Thanks for all the responses and info. I looked closely at that area Sapphire and it's just a square shaped indention but no marks. But it makes me kind of wonder what it is really made of. Part of it is obviously wood but I just don't see how parts of it could be carved like that. Maybe it has to do with gesso and paint as RegJoe suggested. I'm not familiar with that. And that hole in the bottom makes me think it was screwed down to something like maybe an alter in a church. We have another similar piece that I will post images of. It does have a makers mark but there is no base. There is a possible mounting hole in the bottom of it too. The mystery continues. 

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:28:33 pm »
I wear trifocals.  I could really use a set of eyes like sapphire has!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:46:57 pm »
Syl, this may answer one of the questions that came up.....

http://www.santosconnection.com/product/2010119

Also, searching 'santos' brings up some amazing pieces of work.....so many with the 'theme' of yours.  Especially the madonna or saint
on a cloud or the earth.  Many with cherubs surrounding their feet.  Hoping if I keep 'hitting' I may run across one like yours.  ;)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 07:29:09 pm »
I think yours is considered 'The Immaculate Conception' themed , syl .

The specific format established for this type of Marian iconography was approved by the inquisitors of Seville (via contract with Franciso Pacheco (1564 - 1644) , who was the father-in-law of Diego Velazquez) .

Below is an image of Diegos' 1618 painting 'Immaculate Conception' .

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:43:12 pm »
regularjoe, I think you're bang on.  ;)

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/ivory,santos

"19th century Immaculada Concepcion from Ilocos region, ivory face and hands. Front view. "

sapphire

• View Profile