Author Topic: Is this a Fake???  (Read 5975 times)

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
Re: Is this a Fake???
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 09:55:39 am »
I would relist it
Title   ---  roseville white rose vase

I am listing this fine piece as,
in the manner of  roseville.
It is  white rose pattern, & there is a mark on the botton (roseville)
please make your own mind up
email me for more pics & info

They cant argue with that,

waywardangler

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 11:14:50 am »
I am going to disagree about listing it as under Roseville or "in the manner of Roseville".  It is not Roseville.  It is a repro/copy.  Dealers/sellers that know what they have should not be deceiving buyers on anything.  We need more collectors and not more people being duped.

When I walk into a shop and see repros salted amongst genuine items, I suspect everything is a repro or monkeyed with and do not frequent that shop again.  Online is no different.  My advice is to take the high ground.  Put a plant in it and set it in the house.

A few years ago, I listed a Navajo silver spoon on eBay and was informed it was made by a company copying Navajo designs.  I did not have the reference that was quoted but I was able to find a copy and verify my spoon was not Navajo.  I emailed all bidders, changed my listing to include the new information and quoted the reference book, and sold it for somewhere around $50.  If it was genuine Navajo it would have been worth a few hundred.  It was still collectible in its own right as a souvenir spoon made back in the 1920s copying the Navajo style.  I am not sure if it was originally made to deceive or just as a souvenir with Navajo designs.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:30:11 am by waywardangler »

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 11:22:23 am »
I have to agree with Waywardangler, but thank you for taking the time to suggest that. I am however disappointed and offended by this guys comments. I am not a dealer, my mother passed 6 yrs ago and I am only trying to help my father clear out his basement and make some very much needed extra money. I would never try to screw anyone. What a angry, sad little person.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 11:29:48 am »
I'm with waywardangler on this one , except with a personal twist ...

I'd write an ad that went something like :

FAKE ROSEVILLE HEARTBREAKER !!!

I mistakenly listed this item as a "Roseville" !
Due to my error in researching this handsome little item , I've relisted it , along with my apology to anyone else who'd either identified (or mis-identified) it as an authentic "Roseville" item .

Despite any opinions to the contrary , I did not intend to mislead anyone , and I fear this little mistake has damaged my excellent reputation on Ebay .

Please take this heartbreaker off my hands & take advantage of my embarassment !
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:54:07 am by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

waywardangler

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 11:35:53 am »
Yes, that would be the way to relist it fancypants.  Krickard, I understand you being upset about the rude email you received.  Some people have no class and some actually do surf listings just to send flaming emails. They must get some kind of sick joy from it.  I do hope you understand that I was not thinking you were actually trying to dupe buyers.  I did add on to my post above about my personal experience with a similar 'fake' item I sold.  It takes many years and handling many objects to get a feel of what is right and what feels like not so right.  Many of us (myself included) are still on the learning curve.

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 12:27:17 pm »
That is a VERY creative listing Fancypants! I never would have thought of that myself. Waywardangler, this has been a great learning experience and I am just starting to learn how all this stuff works (and how vicious people can be) thanks for your recommendations! ;D

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 01:29:49 pm »
Krickard you have shown your self to be and honest man. you can't do any more then that. this type of material is made to decieve & it does. even the expert's are fooled.

Yep even the experts at Sotheby's & Christies are known to be thrown for at least a while so your doing fine.

So just jump in join the family here at Antique Shop.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 01:39:02 pm »
It seems , to me , that you've been the receiver of a critique/rant (email) from someone who has a 'Napoleonic Law' take on such things ( the reverse of 'innocent before proven guilty' ) .

Courtesy is becoming a bit less common than in earlier days , IMO .

The semi-anonymity of the internet does tend to embolden some less thoughtful (  &/or 'short-fused' ) folks to post vindictive/false/hurtful/etc. messages & such .

I think it's just important to keep an even keel & both oars in the water , when dealing with such issues .... but most of all , I don't try to 'return the favor' .

And a big ditto to what D&b said !
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:40:42 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

waywardangler

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »
One very important point krickard, make sure you block the nasty emailer's user name (if known) from bidding on anything you post on eBay.

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 02:15:38 pm »
EXCELLENT advise guys, I will do that! Thanks! ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 02:50:47 pm »
Totally agree wayward!  I have sent information to sellers in the past - giving them information about their wares marked incorrectly (more often than not it was to show them it was not what they thought and was worth more).  I had 2 that blatantly overlooked it - and fortunately the items didn't sell.

By-the-way....looked at your listing and your seller information.  You are not marked negatively in any way!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!