Author Topic: Kalaga - Burmese embroidered tapestry  (Read 4082 times)

Distant View

• View Profile
Kalaga - Burmese embroidered tapestry
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:15:35 pm »
The embroidered tapestry pictured in the attachments came down to my wife from her late mother, who purchased it during one of her overseas trips. Although we know very little about this piece, we have done enough research to determine that it is a Kalaga - Burmese embroidered tapestry. The item is framed and is 60" x 60" in size. This item is located in Atlanta, GA.

We are moving across the country in a few months and do not think we want to transport this piece with us. We have three questions that we hope this forum can help us answer:

a) Can anyone tell us more about this piece -- or where we might go to learn more on our own?
b) What would be the best way to determine this particular item's value?
c) What would be the best way to sell this item locally once we have established an approximate value?

Thanks in advance for your help.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Kalaga - Burmese embroidered tapestry
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 06:29:15 pm »
If you go to Ebay and type in Kalaga, you'll see many very similar to yours. They range in price from about $50 - $500, and determining where yours falls into that range is going to depend on a lot of factors such as it's age, materials, condition, size and workmanship. I would study the listings on Ebay to find one similar to yours to get a feel for what it might sell for.

You can also get a feel for what retail value is on these by comparing yours to the ones for sale here:
http://www.tapestrypalace.com/
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Distant View

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:53:22 pm »
talesofthesevenseas:

Thank you for that response. I suppose I should have said in my original post that I've previously done as you suggest in your note and, while interesting, have found both references to be only marginally helpful. Our piece is bigger -- in most cases by quite a lot -- than the pieces that tend to be represented on either eBay or TapestryPalace. Moreover, it seems almost impossible to undertake a meaningful comparison of "age, material, condition ... and workmanship" when looking at pictures on the internet.

I suppose what I need to do is find a local expert who can view this piece directly and render an informed opinion on those aspects of the piece. Unfortunately, despite a diligent effort, I have not been able to locate such an expert here in our community. I was hoping, perhaps, that someone on this forum might be able to provide a specific reference.

Anyway, thanks again for your time and your advice.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:04:02 pm »
I don't think we will be able to determine the kind of detail you are looking for from a photograph, but best wishes for your sale and I hope it is assessed to be a very special piece!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:07:06 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous piece of work!! I wonder if KC or the friend he referred to in my old thread from 2009 might be able to help out a bit? 

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=5286.0