Author Topic: Cat milk jug (creamer) - Delft or just Delft style?  (Read 2075 times)

ErinH

• View Profile
Cat milk jug (creamer) - Delft or just Delft style?
« on: June 06, 2010, 02:27:45 am »
Hello,

I am having a bit of a clear out and have come accross a cat milk jug.  I am trying to work out if there is any point trying to sell it or if I should just donate it.  From the bit of Googling that I have done I think that it is probably a Delft copy.

There is some writing on the base but I can't make it out, but there is a number 041905. 

Hope someone here can help!

Cheers,

Erin

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Cat milk jug (creamer) - Delft or just Delft style?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:19:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum , ErinH .

I'm curious to know how much liquid your item will hold , since you call it a milk pitcher ?

I don't recognize the mark , but I'm no expert on most cermaic marks .

I've seen 'imitation' delft items that folks buy , even knowing that it's only the 'style' of delft .

Who knows (I don't) , maybe 10 -20 bucks ?

Maybe others here will know .

Not a bad-looking creamer , actually .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:22:56 am »
Welcome Erin.

No expert here, just doing a bit of searching for you.  I found this (below) using the same numbers marked on your cat.
While the shape is the same (not sure about the measurements) the decoration on yours is much more refined. They do
not show the base mark  making comparison impossible. The cat I found is an obvious fake......."Aruba", so I would have
to say that yours is either a much better produced one or possibly a Delft.

I'll keep looking around to see if there is anything more definitive. ;)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 05:57:01 am »
Quoting replies to a question of Royal Delft and 'other' Delft.......

"Most of the 'Delft blue' that has the word 'Holland' on the bottom is made for the tourist market, not always in the Netherlands.
The best brands have only the factory marks on the bottom.

I am no expert on pottery, best ask experts.
But be careful when buying, the telltale is the factory brands.
Anything mentioning 'hand painted' on the bottom is not worth much and be very wary when it has 'Holland' on the bottom. Those indicate made for the tourist market and often not any quality at all.
Source(s):
I am Dutch, I have been told what to look out for to avoid buying fakes, but I have never had the money nor the which to buy the real stuff."

--------------------------------------------------
"I collect Delft pottery. (I am American, but my family is from the Netherlands) I've visited 2 actual Delft porcelain factories in the town of Delft. I've visited De Candelaer and De Koninklijke Porceleyne Fles. Those 2 places create real, true Delft hand painted pottery. You will find on the bottom of pieces from either of those places a special symbol denoting where the piece was made (each factory has its own symbol), the initials of the artist, the code that denotes the year it was made, and an article number.

The site I cite below is in Dutch. However if you put it through a translator, it verifies what I just said about what you find at the bottom of a piece.
Source(s):

http://www.candelaer.nl/NL/productie/6.h…  "

Yours appears to me to state    Delft Blue
                                         Hand Painted

Based on the above information, I would have to believe yours to be a reproduction (but a lovely one) ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:53:01 am »
Great info sapphire and echos the sentiments that I was about to post.

Still an attractive piece.  Remember many times...it is what makes you happy!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ErinH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:29:51 am »
Thank you so much for all your replies!  I appreciate you taking the time to look and post!

I think that I will list it on ebay as a "Delft-style" creamer.  Wish me luck! I have to pay for my ebay addiction somehow!!  =)