Author Topic: Help Identifying Silver Mark  (Read 2995 times)

tngal_2010

• View Profile
Help Identifying Silver Mark
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:32:02 pm »
Hi, All

I cannot seem to find out who the maker is of this salad set.  The mark is S G with Hall and then Mark on the top and bottom.  It also says England on the silver. The set is about 30 years old.

I've attached a picture with the mark on the bag it came in.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Jean
Franklin, TN

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying Silver Mark
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 03:52:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum tngal!  Could you possibly show a pic of the marks on the silver pieces themselves?  Just off the cuff I would say by the look of the imprint on the cloth/case they wouldn't be 'antique', but quite possibly vintage.

There is one maker I came across on a quick search, Sebastian Henry Garrard- Garrard & Co Ltd., London who are still are in business.  You will see a shot of their 1928 mark here along with the company history........

http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLAGARRARD.html

tngal_2010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:25:11 pm »
Thanks for the info.  The silver mark is exactly the same except instead of Hall on top and Mark on the bottom of the box, it says England at the bottom. 

I googled all kinds of possibilities for S G england; S & G england etc, but didn't find anything. I did see those hallmarks on the page you mentioned.  I don't think it's antique either but it is 30 years old.

Jean

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:03:33 pm »
I believe those words just refer to it being hallmarked, signifying authenticity.

Def:"A hallmark is an official mark or series of marks struck on items made of precious metals......."

When you say the silver mark is the same, do you mean the marks on the back of handle of the spoon/fork? If so, what is
the letter (last symbol)?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:34:32 pm »
     Also with a shot of the hallmark, The Handle pattern is just as important in Flatware, This will lead to pattern name and year.   Are these Sterling? or is it just plate?   

tngal_2010

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 02:09:59 pm »
Hi,

I'm including a picture of the mark on the handle of the serving pieces. Each piece is 13" long and about 2 12" at the middle of the spoon. There is no mark that says silver plate or sterling on either piece.  Hope these pics help.  And thanks for your help with this.

Jean

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 02:22:49 pm »
Silverplate bySilver Guild, Kirk's Ltd., Sheffield, England

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Antiques/Mid-Century-Bar/510188651?messageID=513719070

http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_S.html

Taking a look around for dating info. ;)

tngal_2010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 02:33:45 pm »
Thank you so much.  I should remember to check ebay as well as just googling the marks.  I appreciate everyone's help with this.

Jean

mfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 12:57:11 am »
The nice thing about english silver is that it is marked as sterling, where it was assayed & dated.  Your pieces are sterling, made in London in 1927. 

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 05:13:36 am »
mfrog, are you familiar with tngal's pieces? Was wondering how you dated them from her pics?

mfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 11:42:53 am »
All english sterling pieces have codes on them to identify that they are sterling, then a town code from where it was assayed & then a date code.  Actually all UK pieces have a code, be they from Scotland, Ireland etc. 
I have no knowledge of those pieces, but everything you need to know is right there...  if you know how to crack the code.

Someone else already identified the maker so I didn't bother giving that.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 06:59:14 pm »
The marks shown above are from a site I quoted with their example of Kirk's mark. We have yet to see
the marks on the pieces that tngal.  ;)

Oops, sorry I meant to type Garrard & co.......
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:02:37 am by sapphire »

tngal_2010

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 04:33:42 am »
Hi,

The only marks on the pieces are what I posted. I don't think it's sterling, maybe silverplate. I have other pieces that do have the three marks on them so I understand to what you are referring. Thanks for the info.

Jean

mfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 09:56:07 am »
I was confused, I thought the photo of the marks shown in Sapphire's post were the marks from the pieces in question.  Those are the codes I dated the pieces from.