Author Topic: KIT CARSON BIRTH CERTIFICATE  (Read 1545 times)

BRYANT

• View Profile
KIT CARSON BIRTH CERTIFICATE
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:50:55 pm »
Anybody have an idea of what an original birth certificate of kit carson would be worth?

Thanks

Texasbadger

• View Profile
Re: KIT CARSON BIRTH CERTIFICATE
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:12:54 am »
Kit Carson was born in RURAL Madison County Kentucky in 1809 and moved to Missouri about a year later, a quick call to the State of Kentucky revealed that there were no birth certificates issued in rural areas as in most cases the births were at home with or without the assistance of a physician.  I would be extremely skeptical.  The state itself cannot provide any birth certificate info prior to 1911.  Heres the link:
http://chfs.ky.gov/dph/vital/birthcert.htm

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:45:57 am »
Great information Texasbadger!!!  Nice to see you on!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:45:57 am »
Even if he HAD been born after 1911, counties do not issue the original certificates. None of us have them. The original record is with the county and what you get when you get your birth certificate from the county is a certified copy, usually with the county stamp imprinted on the document. If you had an original, it would be stolen.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:02:27 pm »
Exactly right, Tales!  Many, many people do not understand that.  I accepted passport applications when I worked for the USPS and many people said they had their "original" birth certificate.  Many times it was just a hospital souvenir with the footprints on it.  A certified copy is the only one issued to a person and the one needed to obtain other documents such as a passport.