Author Topic: please help identify large ceramic elephants  (Read 1687 times)

jennmobug

• View Profile
please help identify large ceramic elephants
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:33:50 pm »
 Hello,
 My dad got these  while he was in the Navy. I believe they are from Japan, I am figuring it would be late 60's to early 70's.  I am not sure what they are made of but they are VERY heavy, possibly ceramic. There are no markings, no stamps or print of any type that we could see. I have a matching pair of these. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: please help identify large ceramic elephants
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:07:32 pm »
     Welcome to the forum jennmobug, glad to have you here.   From the sounds of it you have what is considered a Tourist item.   These was cranked out by the tons and sold abroad and to servicemen and tourist.   Not that means much other then trying to locate manufacture and date will become quite the task, without any marks to lead with only style and material can be used as a clue.   Since you are dealing with a vintage item, the value would only be clear to elephant collectors, and I think there is lots of them out there, I know three.   I'm not sure what you seek in information exactly but this is just a vague overview of my thoughts on your item.  Hope someone else can give us more.  Once again welcome 

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 04:05:47 am »
Welcome jennmobug!  I found this guy, looks quite similar to yours. Don't know the dimensions of your fella,
but maybe they're related.  ;)

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,pottery-indian-elephant,568111.html

jennmobug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 05:37:17 am »
thank you so much guys... i really appreciate  it :O)