Author Topic: Antiques and Jade: buying in China  (Read 2951 times)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Antiques and Jade: buying in China
« on: June 19, 2010, 11:52:18 pm »
Hey all,

So I'm finally going to China in August with a friend! While I'm there I'm going to do a LOT of antique shopping. Lots of jade, artifacts, porcelain, etc. Of course, buying antiques in China is almost as bad as on eBay- 99.99% of everything is fake. However, I have spent the last few months reading everything I could find on the subject and have been to hundreds of museums to look at pieces (coincidentally, my collection has also grown  ::) ).

So... my questions to you all are simply: have any of you ever bought antiques in Asia? If so, do you recommend any specific dealers, where to buy in general, etc? Any overall tips?

I'll definitely be going to Shanghai, Nanjing, and Xian. Other than that we're pretty much going to play to by ear.

One last question- anyone know about buying antiques in RURAL China??

-Lux

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
Re: Antiques and Jade: buying in China
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:58:22 am »
BE VERY CAREFUL, THE CHINEESE DONT MESS ABOUT WHEN ENFORCING THEIR LAWS

Cultural objects and China export restrictions

Export forbidden:

1.Antiques made 1911 or earlier
2.Cultural products of minorities made 1949 or earlier
3.Export restrictions are mainly meant for genuine antiques -- however replicas that have research value or a high artistic value can also be restricted.
4.If the export is allowed but other government departments have other related regulations regarding prohibited items of export, these regulations will be followed.

Remarks:
(3) above means that the export of any cultural item can be prohibited if the government thinks it has any higher value in view to craftsmanship, etc., even if it is more recent.
(4) means that if you have an antique item that would be permitted according to antique export restrictions, but another government department has restrictions (for example export restrictions on wood or other material), then even an allowed item cannot be exported.

With other words, you cannot be sure that you can export any craft or art objects, and there apparently have been cases where antiques less than 100 years old were not allowed out.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 11:12:18 am »
Lux, if you get to see the Terracotta Warriors (and I can't imagine you would go to China without paying them a visit!) I would LOVE it if you would post some photos!!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 12:45:17 pm »
Thanks for the info, most people I know (including my friend) ship out of China while there.

Tales, I am going to Xian, where the warriors are, and I would be more than happy to post some photos! I can't wait for the trip, I'm so glad that my friend invited me :)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:08:03 pm »
Glad to hear you've got a chance to see China , lux !

This one fits into current odd-ball catagories , but here in the Northwest I've been seeing both fake antiques (the usual amount) and genuine antiques with modern-ish hardware installed & phony stickers affixed to bases of items ; all items were basketball-sized or smaller and primarily carved wood .

Have seen 6 "genuine articles" in the past two months ; all owners had recently purchased them .

Makes me think a bit of 'open' smuggling might be going on , under the noses of officials (or with the co-operation of) .

Might be worth keeping an eye on/eye out for in China .

Theres plenty of neighborhoods in the places you've mentioned where items may be obtained , but all I can really suggest is to avoid the 'tourist-oriented' antique & used shops .

It's a great country to 'get off the beaten path' , if that's your style of travel .

Language skills will help quite a bit in rural areas & it's possible to barter with folks , just like most everywhere . In small neighborhood & rural areas , I've brought a nice melon ,  a fish or some good rice to give to potential (individuals) sellers (not the shop-owner types , though) .... this will often give you the chance to eat together with new people from new lands .

Most of all , I'd recommend that you enjoy your trip in China !
 :)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 06:38:40 pm »
Thanks so much for your input, Regularjoe! I am definitely more of an "off-the-path" sort of guy and am very excited to explore rural China. Do you have any specific suggestions for shops in Xian/Nanjing/Shanghai/wherever? I know my friend brought back about 30 pieces of jade from a small town that had been a Ming-era collection, is that common? I sort of figure the better antiques will be in non-touristy areas, but I have absolutely not clue how to approach such a subject with the average person- I assume most will be offering to sell?

With the more research/stories I here, the more excited I'm getting :)

I'll keep your food-offering suggestion in mind, regularjoe :) Btw, have you bought antiques in China before? I'm still trying to figure out how I will ship what I buy (or should I take them with me on the plane, seeing as I'm looking to buy small stuff, not furniture)- any tips?

Thanks again guys!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 06:42:46 pm »
Re-reading your post regularjoe, I see you did buy while there (rurally). I'm quite interested in what you have to share in that regard (and your suggestions as far as neighborhoods in the larger cities as well, of course)- did you buy mostly furniture? I know a few people that were in the Asian furniture business a few years ago.

When you have some time I'd love to talk to you, maybe through email or via the "send private message" feature, more about this subject.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 08:11:03 pm »
Another tip , lux - in towns/cities ask about the "Hutongs" (I think the literal translation is : 'old lane') in the area (not so much the touristy ones) .

Ones to look for would be , for instance ... Luomasi - the "mule & horse market" , Gxngwasi- pottery market , Zhubasi-jewelry market (all in the city of Beijing) ... the point here is to see such areas , maybe make contacts there & see what sorts of items/products are up for sale .

Since you're going to Nanjing & Shanghai , there's not too much left , as far as really old & diverse ones (Hutong) .
The drive to build new commercial structures in those two cites has eaten up most of the old Hutong real estate .

When I've visited the rural areas , I always do so with a good friend (who is a Chinese national) and discretely inquire about old mementos that might be for sale , rather than wait for someone to approach .
Doing so , even in remote areas may put you 'on the radar' with officials , so I am always 'straight-up' & honest with folks there .
When possible , I like to hang out for a day or two & meet folks & their families ... this also allows more time to sniff around for cool items .
I have invited 'officials' to a meal together in such small towns & sometimes they'll accept (not a great idea for the faint-of-heart or the translator-less , though) .
Rural folks easily recognize foreigners , IMO .

In the 'country areas' , I prefer to just buy only one or two small items & am not bashful about doing humorous & friendly bantering/bartering/bargaining (through translator) .

Like gingertomantiques mentioned , be kinda careful when/where you pull out your camera , and be respectful of folks & locations , since 'lawbreakers' can be dealt with rather stiffly .

If you're going to be covering all that territory , you'll have to figure out how to get larger items where(&when) you want them ...either that or drag them along with you .
I usually go for small items & bring them along the trail .

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 08:14:03 pm »
Again, thank you very much regularjoe! You are a wealth of extraordinarily useful information!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:54:19 am »
Look forward to posts on your adventure!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 12:21:51 pm »
One of my favorite small items from China are Chinese Opera dolls that date to the 1920's. These are all so unique and different. I'd eventually like to have a small collection of these. This is the one I have:

I also love the wooden Chinese tea warmers, but they are a little big. Wooden buckets used to keep a teapot warm. I have a group of five of these (this one isn't mine) They look great as a group, on shelves, as storage etc:
Antiqueaholic in recovery

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 08:22:51 pm »
What a nice doll, Tales! I'll be sure to keep my eye out for similar ones. Unfortunately, it's so hard to come across authentic antiques in China :(