Author Topic: any ideas on age  (Read 1929 times)

danny1979

• View Profile
any ideas on age
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:59:24 am »
hi all my first post on here just wanted an idea of age on this please its made from ash and is hand made from dove tails i was thinking 1900 but not sure thanks and any help is good help cheers danny

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: any ideas on age
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:09:24 am »
What a neat dresser vanity, with lots of character! Could you post a picture of the drawer handle hardware up close? I'm going to venture a non-expert guess that you're pretty darn close on the age, but it might even be a tiny bit earlier? Maybe 1890's? I love the rustic look and personality of this one and I'm glad to see you haven't refinished it. Personally, I think its one of those ones that looks good carrying the scars from a century of use.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

danny1979

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:13:19 am »
yes will post a pic of hardware for you but i think they are not the right ones but will post anyway just for you ;)

danny1979

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:30:57 am »
well here you go these are the handles and one of the inside of the draw where i think the old handles would have been also a picture of something i found in the draw just for fun

and this is just for fun i find things like this interesting

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:48:26 am »
Believe right at 1900....  Beautiful piece!  Like talesof, those "imperfections from use/time" I consider to be "beauty marks" and add integrity to the piece.  Original is better for value IF it is good shape!

Just for grins - this is what is at the address of 132 Gloucester Place now!  Click on the Red Balloon and then click on street view!  Looks like lots of remodeling and now homes?!?!?!?
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=G4s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&q=132+Gloucester+Place,++London&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=132+Gloucester+Pl,+London+NW1+6DT,+UK&gl=us&ei=JK80TMm2OoL68AbhlfHICw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:52:01 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:53:08 am »
The drawer hardware looks original to me. Very cool!! Love the rustic, untouched look of them. I don't see any signs of different handles being used in the photos unless I'm missing something. You'd probably see some other holes inside.

Was the hotel advertisement inside one of the drawers? I too love to see this kind of stuff and I'm glad you kept it! Such a neat piece!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

danny1979

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:34:06 pm »
yes was in one of the small draws also with a couple of postal order slips as well

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:09:35 pm »
Because of the thickness of that drawer front and the dovetails I'm going to guess earlier than 1890.

And those drawer pulls look to be really old hardware ..... even if that one was put on crooked,