Author Topic: Cordless Drills  (Read 2821 times)

fancypants

• View Profile
Cordless Drills
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:10:21 pm »
Something antique , other things vintique , estate sale this weekend ...

1885 Peck, Stowe & Wilcox Co. #1202 wood brace (with a cool & original Henry V. Smith ball bearing chuck) ; lignum vitae head / rosewood wrist .

1904 Stanley #49 adjustable bit gauge .

1923 Yankee tool set #100 (missing the sm. #15 ratchet screwdriver) .

6 good wood bits + 1 bent one .

Rosewood & brass small bore cleaning rod & case , 22in. rod .

I was hunting for paintings , but they only had lithos at the estate sale (contrary to their claims) , so I picked up all these great little useful tools for a ten-spot .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

waywardangler

Re: Cordless Drills
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:54:24 pm »
Great buy! Terrific price!  Now I am drooling over the Yankee boxed set.  I have a few Yankee screwdrivers of different sizes and vintages but not a neat boxed set like that.  All for only $10?  What were they thinking?   8)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 07:00:54 pm »
Awesome finds fancypants!! I love the old tools.  Still have some of my dad's that I got before he passed. Mother gave all the rest away when clearing out the house.  I can still picture the walls of his tool room.......buck and two man cross cut saws, sicle and sythe from his farm and woodsman days. Now I'll have to go dig out his old brace and bits, just to see what they are.

Not only did you obtain some wonderful examples of history, but tools that created many other pieces of history.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:20:53 pm »
Waywardangler - they seemed to think of this stuff (which I found in in a workbench in the basement) as junk .
The PIC said '20 bucks' , I said ten & that was that .
They were selling mostly hoity-toity-type big dollar stuff .

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:05:54 pm »
I like your YANKEE set especially!!
You can find another #15 ratcheting screwdriver easy enough, & complete the set.

Thank you for posting the patent drawing too, fancypants.
Now I know what a Geo. V. Smith chuck looks like & how it works.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:39:15 pm »
NICE!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:07:50 am »
Fancypants, the hoity-toity sellers should do research first.  A Yankee boxed set at Rose Antique Tools (complete) is listed at $240.  I would think this would be up there with much of the other stuff they were selling.  Too bad for them but great for you.  You must have different estate sales in your area.  In my area, organized estate sales are priced at ticketed value and they will not budge until the second day when they have reduced or half off.  Offering a price does no good here.  At garage sales or rummage sales, I can dicker with the seller usually with a successful result.  Even at $20, what you bought was a bargain.  Way to go.  The small ratcheting screwdriver should not be too difficult or expensive to add to your set.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:03:05 am »
Nice finds!  Congratulations!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 05:07:37 am »
And don't be throwing that "1 bent one" away, it looks like a "handy" 3/8" one and it can be straightened. Even an "amature straightening" would suffice given it is an auger bit and doesn't rotate very fast when used.

Of course, you can always hacksaw it in two below the "bend" and then use it in a variable speed drill. I have 3 or 4 auger bits which I cut the "auger chuck" end off of just so I could use them in a drill or drillpress. Those auger bits make a "cleaner cut" than those high speed "spade" bits.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 03:58:45 pm »
Thanks for all the comments , folks .

Cogar , I use a pair of old brass vee-blocks & a ball joint press , for when I'm whackin' these fellers straight again ... now I gotta remember where I hid 'em .

The real reason that I got such a good deal was due to me seeing an item included in a tiny lot of vintage costume jewelry , mismarked as '18k plated brass' & priced way too low - I talked to a family member @ the sale , who then told the #1 PIC .
I guess I could have just bought the jewelry lot & skipped happily off , but since the estate was being held due to medical bills ..... I couldn't do it .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 04:16:58 pm »
Good for you Fancypants!  ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 04:30:21 pm »
Here's an image of an exact-same item .
Whoever marked it at the sale must have mis-read '18KG' as '18KF' .
It always helps to carry a loupe to sales !

Mid-1960's 18K gold Tiffany Schlumberger Movado shell clock (currently for sale in N.Y. City for $9500) :

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 09:57:30 pm »
Wow!

I'll go shopping with you, fancypants!
 :)