Author Topic: Vintage TV Cabinets  (Read 1091 times)

dianecaudle

• View Profile
Vintage TV Cabinets
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:50:34 pm »
This is one of the most helpful, nicest websites and I feel bad coming back only a day after I'd been here but we're having to move from our home of 21 years after my husband died and we have a huge house that has lots of 'stuff' in it and a few are antiques and some of the 'stuff' is just stuff.  I, of course, know next to nothing about antiques and most stuff, except art, but I have done some homework before I come here and I'm not finding out much info on this subject.

Is there much of a demand for vintage TV cabinets?  The one I have belonged to my husband's family either in the fourties or fifties.  It has some scratches on it and the front where the speakers are is dusty and dirty, of course.  The 'innards' are long gone but I've heard of people reviving old TV cabinets/consoles and I wonder if I should just put it on Craigslist and see what I can get for it or try to get an estimate from an antique dealer, and are any antique dealers even interested in something that is probably still quite common?

Thanks again,

Diane

PS I'm not interested in turning it into an aquarium

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage TV Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:32:52 pm »
diane, I doubt antique dealers would really be interested but you'd likely have luck with Craigslist. Many people love to convert older style 'cabinets' into usable pieces of furniture and as yours actually has doors it would certainly be more attractive to those looking.  BTW, the wood is beautiful and likely another draw.  Give it a good cleaning and post with a fair to you price (even a bit more) and go from there.  Best of luck.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Vintage TV Cabinets
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:44:45 pm »
  Bet that would make a good Modern TV Cabinet, at least for those like me that don't own a plasma wall thingy  :D