Author Topic: Question on a ring.  (Read 2078 times)

Omega Entity

• View Profile
Question on a ring.
« on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:40 pm »
Hey all, it's me again. Sorry to bug you guys again, but I have a ring that my sister gave me (given to her in a bunch of old jewelry from a friend), that suspect might be vintage, just not too sure. It has a 925 stamp, so as long as it's not lying, it's sterling, and my guess on the stone is either aquamarine or topaz, if not just a cut glass; I'm more familiar with opals than I am with clear gemstones ^_^;; Anyway, tell me what you think!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Question on a ring.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:03:49 pm »
Omega I'm racking my brain trying to remember what the name of the stone was in a ring I passed on to my daughter. It had belonged to my great-aunt. It was confirmed white gold, with 27 small diamonds surrounding it, but the center stone which appeared to be aquamarine, was in fact synthetic. Apparently this was very common in dinner/dress rings from the early 1900's.

If I come across (or more surprisingly, remember) it, I'll be sure to post it.

Omega Entity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:04:56 pm »
Coolies, thank you. Something doesn't seem right about the stone to me, as in it seems fake. I was just posing guesses, based on the color XD

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile

Omega Entity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:10:20 pm »
Woot! thank you ^^

Slappy Finds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:46:28 pm »
The 925 means Sterling Silver, or 92.5% pure silver as long as it is not a fake that is stamped. That ring does look old. I would go ask a few different dealers  about the ring--"not looking to sell it" just friendly info, just so no one tries to finagle you for it. The Stone does not look like the original stone from it, but it may be an old precious stone. Regardless that is an interesting ring, and i would take my time with it if you are looking to sell it. They do not really make Sterling Silver like that anymore, and can be worth something.

Omega Entity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:58:21 pm »
Thanks for the info! My brother and sister-in-law are both in the jewelry business, though they produce it (my brother makes sterling and dichroic glass jewelry, the sister-in-law has her own sterling line, with a patented process for adhering enamel/paint to the surface). Even worked the gem and jewelry shows in Tucson for six years! It's a blast, if you ever get down there, usually the last week of January, first week of February.

I'll have to look around, and see what I can find out. We have a few jewelers here in town, not sure what they charge for appraisal fees, though.

Omega Entity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:05:31 am »
Oh, one more question on this. What's the style/era, does anyone know?