Author Topic: Sykes Bottle & Cup ... Pewter , Silver Plate ???  (Read 1685 times)

Horders Stuff

• View Profile
Sykes Bottle & Cup ... Pewter , Silver Plate ???
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:05:19 am »
Hi All ,

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me anything about this item. It is a bottle and cup combo with a screw cap lid , the lid chain to the bottle. It appears to be made of pewter with possibly a silver plate , the plate work has deffinatly seen much better days. The only markings on it are stamped on the bottom which is "SYKES"

Any help and info greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Neil

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Sykes Bottle & Cup ... Pewter , Silver Plate ???
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 02:24:47 pm »
Welcome Neil. Don't know 'what' it is, likely someone else will recognize it. The only SYKES I have come across so far is listed here...... (discounting Charles Sykes who designed and manufactured the 'flying lady' figures featured on the engine bonnets of Rolls Royces)

http://www.silvercollection.it/oldsheffieldhallmarks.html

Sykes & Co, Pinstone Lane, Sheffield
D. Horton
Sheffield
Birmingham  (mark shown below)

Also, I rotated your picture and was trying to read what appeared to be hand etched words.  Do you have a clearer picture of that or can you read any names/dates?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:40:15 pm »
   Not really sure about your item yet, have looked at bit.  the hallmark that sapphire posted is a old sheffield plate complany, and would be very old and valueable if it was a Sykes Sheffield plate item, but since your flask has a screw on top I would really doubt it to be sheffield plate.  but you did mention that the plate has seen better days, most sheffield plate items has, but most likely it would have copper showing through.  I will say that it is a very unique Flask to say the least, and would have many collectors will to pay $$.00 for it. 

Horders Stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 02:31:36 am »
The hand etching is very crude so unfortunatly the only word i can really make out is "Powell" , there are two years 1863 & 1864.

The only Sykes i have been able to find any referance to from this era were coppersmiths who predominantly made copper sweet moulds.

I have also found a small pewter whistle made by sykes circa 1850 that recently sold on ebay and have been trying to get in touch with the seller to see if he can shed any light on the matter... It only shows up in completed listings so you need to sign in to ebay to see it.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:22:49 am »
Where are you located and where was the flask found/bought.  I played with your pic a bit and the 'name' under Powell for some reason is looking Welsh to me....... Llan - something or other ??  ::)

Horders Stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 04:55:19 am »
Hi ,

I'm in Wiltshire UK (Nr Swindon) so not to far from Wales , the flask was bought locally at a charity shop.

Regards
Neil

Horders Stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:00:26 am »
Hi ,

I've been doing a bit of a search around and have found a "SYKES" that used to make powder flasks around the same era , is this likely to be the same maker ?

Regards

Neil