Author Topic: Homer Laughlin serving dish  (Read 1231 times)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Homer Laughlin serving dish
« on: July 22, 2010, 06:08:01 am »
I have this plate, and some questions.  First of all, what might be the value of this serving dish?  Also, why do I have these brown circular marks?  It seems to follow cracks (crazing?) in the glaze.  Is this normal?  Can it be cleaned?

A final question -- when we were moving, my husband pulled an entire box of Homer Laughlin pieces from the attic (I did not even know they existed, much less that they were rotting away in a hot and humid southern attic!).  Unfortunately, they had been wrapped 20 years prior in newspaper, and the print had transferred to the pieces and stained them!  I could not wipe them off quickly with my finger, so I wrapped them in fresh tissue paper, and still have this to deal with when I unpack that box.  Any advice on cleaning off the newsprint?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Homer Laughlin serving dish
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 07:24:41 am »
    Wow nice virginia rose dish.  I have a niece that every time I find a virginia rose I have to buy it for her.  These are not really very valueable in the china world.  This was a very popular pattern and was made for many years.  As for the stains, this is mostly from not proper care of china.  The stains are from stuff getting under the glaze of the dish.  Once the glaze starts to graze and food is left for any time in the dish these stains will start to happen.  Grazing is mostly from putting these china items in dishwashers. with that and not cleaning the dish right away will cause all kinds of problems.  I personnally have never been able to get them out. these stains are under the glaze.  Maybe someone else here may know a trick.  Not sure about the newsprint either, have not run across that one yet.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Re: Homer Laughlin serving dish
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:04:03 pm »
Thanks so much!