Author Topic: Advice on buying on e-bay  (Read 2783 times)

Briaeros

• View Profile
Advice on buying on e-bay
« on: July 30, 2010, 01:31:48 am »
im looking to purchase a roman ring and have it restored as a gift to my wife. i know nothing about antiques etc. what should i look for to make sure i get the real deal?
thanks in advance

Sara Finn

• View Profile
Re: Advice on buying on e-bay
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:32:54 am »
Welcome to the Antique-Shop forum, Briaeros.

Maybe one thing to look at/for would be a ring that comes with a genuine (not some computer print-out) & verifiable certification/appraisal of the antiquity and value of the item.

There are many, many reproductions/fakes/duplications on the market for items such as you mention.

Generally speaking, most rings of that era are cast metal, which is simple for modern metalworkers/jewelerymakers to duplicate (some are even made from actual impressions of antique rings) &/or counterfeit.

Having such an antiquity professionally certified can add up to $500 in additional costs to your purchase.

Keep in mind that what you're seeking is considered a piece of antiquity (a catagory that sort of supercedes the term 'antique'), and expect to spend some serious money, especially for rare metals (& consider the fact that even the 'experts' make mistakes).

Perhaps finding a reputable dealer in such antiquities would be a route to go, in the event you don't wish to do TONS of self-education about such items.
Anyone buying sight-unseen (in person) antiquities puts themselves at high risk for buying counterfeit/less-than-authentic items, IMO.

Best of luck in finding the authentic item you seek, Braieros!!!
 :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:40:34 pm by Sara Finn »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:34:32 pm »
Roman rings are history rich and value poor most of the time. They are surprisingly common so that can actually work to your advantage because you can take into consideration that it would cost a forger more to fake an ancient bronze ring, than he/she would get out of it. So you have little to fear when buying these on Ebay. Go for it and choose one that your wife will love and don't worry about it. It's real.  ;D Things you can look for are signs of wear in places that fingers bend over the ring bandl and wear on the bezel from being bumped about. If it hasn't been cleaned then you'll also see green, brown or black "patina" which is basically ancient grime.

There are plenty of Roman rings on Ebay that have been cleaned and are very wearable. I have several. Don't feel like you have to spend much to have it "restored" by someone. All they are going to do is clean it. Results can vary greatly depending upon the condition of the metal. Look for one with a clear design and without "bronze disease" where the bronze is crumbling. Your ring should be solid and sturdy, not brittle.

I have to add C.O.A.'s (Certificates of Authenticity) are only as good as the person who wrote it. If it makes you feel better to have one then you can ask for one, but essentially all it is is a note from the seller saying that they believe it to be authentic, and perhaps that they will take it back if you can prove otherwise.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:48:10 am »
All good advice you've posted, talesofthesevenseas!

I was assuming the poster was asking about gold rings!

Silly me!!!
 :)