Author Topic: Antique Clock 1  (Read 1351 times)

hawaiicjo

• View Profile
Antique Clock 1
« on: August 20, 2010, 03:40:44 pm »
I do not know anything about this clock. But want to sell it. My grandfather had a makeshift clock shop out in his workshop and has passed away. my mother wants me to sell it to someone else that will enjoy it in the way he did. BUT i have no idea how much it is worth. DO YOU KNOW? there are 3 clocks i am wondering about.. I had to put them in 3 different threads due to the size of the pictures.. if you need more pictures just ask

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Antique Clock 1
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:15:37 am »
Welcome to the forum , hawaiicjo .

The comments that I'd like to insert about old clocks are these :

It's important to collectors to know if the clockworks are original to the enclosures/cases that hold them , as well as knowing if they are fully functional machines .
The same holds true for the entire assembly and finishes on/of the unit .

Sometimes a more modern or even similar vintage clockworks is installed within any given clock case .

It's fairly common to have a mixed-era-parts (repaired/rebuilt/restored) pendulum clock , especially in the older cases these days .

A 100% original clock will hold much more value (in most cases) in the eyes of a clock collector .

Sometimes it's a pleasant surprise to the seller , other times - a disappointment .

I hope yours bring good surprises !

As others have stated , having good pics , #'s , manufacturers names & such will be needed to figure out just what you've got there ....and sometimes it really takes a hands-on inspection to know for sure .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "