Author Topic: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING THESE CHERUBS/ANGELS  (Read 4531 times)

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING THESE CHERUBS/ANGELS
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:39:30 pm »
Hi, I have four German, bisque (chalk?) (unglazed porcelain) figurines.
They measures about 6" (15 cm.) tall.
Marked on bottoms with a blue crown over "D" mark (Dresden?) over "ORIGINAL GERMANY".
Thank you..

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING THESE CHERUBS/ANGELS
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:20:24 am »
angelbrotherston, This manufacturer was founded in 1950 by Karl-Heinz Klette in Küps, Bavaria, Germany. Karl Klette's unit was very small and he specialized in decorated wares in the style of Dresden - the reason for the 'D' in the mark. Your mark dates from after 1962.
A few for sale on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/4-vintage-karl-heinz-klette-white-german-angels-exc-/350341656416?pt=lh_defaultdomain_0

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:09:20 am »
Hi wendy177, thank you for the response,  I looked at the ones for sale on ebay and now I am even more confused.  The mark on the bottom is the same but if you take a good look at the cherubs there is a significant difference as far as detail and quality.  I am wondering if the ebay group is a replica or something in that manner. I appreciate your input, have a great day!   

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:49:19 am »
Angelbrotherston I have not heard of anyone reproducing copies of his pieces along with his makers mark, ( this usually occurs in works  by artists & companies that fetch large $$$ amounts) I would really look into the history of the company now that you know the makers mark. Check out this site may be of some help http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/bavaria/kueps_1/00.php

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:48:52 pm »
Wendy,  thanks alot!  I will check into the company for sure.  Do you see the difference in the pieces or is it me??  Nonetheless, you have been a big help and I appreciate your time and effort. 

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 06:23:33 am »
angle defiantly can see the difference in detail on your items opposed to the ones on ebay, This may be that yours could have  been done before He retired and left the business in the hands of his family  daughters- sons may have decided to rework some of his earlyer pieces, molds may have been damaged & redone at a later or earlyer date. Factory may have had areas damaged by fire, flood etc this is why research of the company is key. happy hunting ;)

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 03:34:05 am »
Thanks Wendy, some very valid and helpful information.  I will let you know what, if anything I find out if you like... 

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 06:09:43 am »
The Klette company is known to be extremely tight-arsed (pardon my French) when it comes to company info (or rather: everything else other than buying big numbers as single persons or other small fry are sent away). Some things however speak for themselves - they are known to use molds until they break, rather buying 'new' (pre-used) ones instead of caring for the ones in use. Various examples clearly show the mold degeneration impacting on the final item over time. Finally they also tend to 'match up' series, meaning that if you ordered one specific item you could easily receive something 'similar' because the previous mold went south and they needed to replace it - also, common mold sets with two or three items were 'married' with other mold sets of similar items, creating pretty awkward 'new series'.

Quite frankly I would wonder how they could exist until now if I did not know that they for years now actually make their money by producing large numbers of souvenir- and giftware for customers which also supply their own molds :)

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 06:17:42 am »
Chris thank you so much great info I wondered how some pieces could look of good quality & some very sloppy!!!! Not a great way to run any business so I can see how they would have to make pieces for companies who supply their own molds to survive. Knowing this I think I would pass on purchasing any pieces produced by them!! Thanks again :D

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 01:18:15 am »
Thanks Chris, I had a hard time finding anything on The Klette Company save for a brief description at a linked website.  I too am surprised that they have been around as long as they have.  I went to your website and wish to say it's a great site with a wealth of information and easy to navigate.  Kudo's to you... 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:45:45 pm »
Thanks for the valid information Chris.  Isn't it amazing how companies stay in business and flourish with such "sloppy" standards.

It makes the conscientious companies stand out!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!