Author Topic: Mohegan Necklace?  (Read 1151 times)

floydianoise

• View Profile
Mohegan Necklace?
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:39:44 pm »
My family has had this for a while.  I assume it came from My Grandmother's side of the family which was part Mohegan, I believe.  Is this the real deal?  How old, etc.?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:42:10 pm by floydianoise »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Mohegan Necklace?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:03:12 am »
This looks like the style used in the 1920's...was even used on purses, clothing, etc.
Hopefully someone will chime in.

How is it sewn together?  Thread?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Mohegan Necklace?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:52:25 am »
I am by no means an expert & have a few pieces similar to yours that I have been trying to research also. Seed beads reached the plains Indians in the mid-1840s. From what I have found all the pieces of bead work I have looked at no matter how old I find they are EXPERTLY done, Very straight lines, Perfect matching patterns, very little to no stitching apparent on front of pieces. Possibly yours was reworked at a later date due to damage but the stitching on the bottom point before the tassels is very apparent on the top of your piece. I have found very little info on dating my pieces, tribe etc.... I believe an expert will need to be found for a hands on examination of  my pieces.