Author Topic: Selling Early Dean Mickey Mouse Dolls (any ideas?)  (Read 2591 times)

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
Selling Early Dean Mickey Mouse Dolls (any ideas?)
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:21:23 pm »
Anyone know of where I can sell a couple early 1930's Mickey Mouse dolls made by a company named Dean? I have tried ebay and Hakes is out of the question (took 3 emails to answer my emails and when they did and they gave me an attitude informing me it had to be worth over $500 or they would not even consider it) I have been very disappointed with ebay lately. No matter how much I cut my prices or how low the bid, people want me to practically give an item to them. I pay more in ebay fee's a month than I make. Just wondering if anyone knew where else I could try to sell these at? Many thanks!

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Selling Early Dean Mickey Mouse Dolls (any ideas?)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:06:18 pm »
If you don't want to deal with Craigslist flakes, maybe you can consign them to an antique shop. But they would get a percentage. Maybe you could talk them down to only 10 percent. Make sure they have locking cases! There are other websites besides ebay but I am not familiar with them. I think they all have fees just like ebay though. The only way to avoid outrageous fees is to sell on Craigslist. If you do, meet in a public place!

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:41:10 pm »
I looked online to see what these are.  Hake's had one that sold post-auction for $300.  Some other sites have them listed at $500-650 depending on model and condition.  I am not sure how much you are looking for but consider that any place is going to get a %.  Craigslist will get you the most $ with no commissions but depending on your location, you may not find any takers except for bargain hunters.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:01:17 pm »
Agree with Wayward!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:19:51 pm »
Hey thanks! Both are in very good to excellent condition. They've been stored in a display case in a room with no sunlight for almost 40 years. I have no problem with percentages or fee's, it just seems on Ebay I have tons of people looking at the item and then they contact me after the auction hoping I relist at a lower price or that i will take their insults of an offer. Considering their age and condition I was looking for more than $300 for them. I inherited a small but impressive Disney collection from a collector who recently passed away. Never thought of Craigslist. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I know there are other sites similar to ebay,but am clueless as to what they are. Many thanks for the replies and suggestions!

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:51:01 pm »
I do not believe there are any other auction sites with the traffic that eBay has.  I have searched for an alternative and not found any yet. You can check out etsy (fixed), bonanzle (more of a social networking place), icollect 24/7,  ioffer, ubid, ecrater, icollector, tias, rubylane, and a bunch of others.  Some have fixed monthly fees plus %, some are just %, and I don't know what they all have.  I do know they do not (yet) have the traffic that eBay does.  The old saying is "location, location, location" and online it is "traffic, traffic, traffic."

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:24:53 pm »
   Yea I have tried a couple other sites but the traffic of Ebay out does the sales of the others.  This is kind of unfornate, but since ebay and Paypal protect the buyers so well, that is where people feel safe.  I buy with much confidence on Ebay with my paypal and has done me very well as a buyer.  I too sale on Ebay and the same blessing for the buyer is not so blessed for the buyer, but money can still be made.  I too sometimes wish it was enough to quit my day job, but I do it as a hobby per say and this keeps me from being frustrated over the whole Ebay thing, beside I did not start selling until it was "bad", I did not experience the glory days.   The other real problem with Ebay and any online venue, is it has destroyed the value.  Where you use to have to hunt long and hard for a item, now a few clicks and a add to cart button you have it.  The market now has everything and everybody selling their items.  Someone out there just got a mickey mouse item they found at a yard sale and will make money selling it for $50.00 and not think twice.   Sounds like you know the value of your item.  Well basically not anymore, in this new world the value is all over the board.   I chuckle almost every time I look up my item in one of my books, then look at ebay, I can find one for 25% of the value.  Think I can sale it for twice, Nope.   

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 12:35:53 pm »
Same here. As a buyer, EBay is great. As a seller, well, I have very little say or rights. Two examples just over the past month. I had a bunch of items up for auction and I was offering free shipping. I started these items off with a higher bid and included the shipping in them. Plus, smaller items do not cost as much so I figure if I get something like a $140 for a small snuff box,anywhere I send it in the USA will go for no more than a couple bucks. Well, I sold a larger item where I asked $14 shipping. A fair price for shipping and the item had a low bid.Item sold for the opening bid and the buyer ignored my invoice and sent me money through Paypal for the price of the item only. He wanted me to pay for shipping since I offered it on my other auctions. He said if I did not pay for shipping he would leave negative feedback.

Another person claimed the item I sent them was damaged. It was a solid piece of Bronze and I could not see how this was possible. I wrapped it so well and it was a heavy solid piece. It was impossible. I insured the item and went to the post office to fill out the paper work. I asked the buyer to send me pictures of the damaged item. Email went ignored.I asked the buyer that once he had his money back would he send me the item if I pay for shipping. Email ignored. I gave the buyer a status report on the insurance claim I had filed at the post office.Email ignored. He later left me positive feedback,where I then ended the claim.He basically wanted me to pay him back for the item he "claimed" was damaged but he wanted to keep the item and offer no proof the item was damaged.

Its buyers like this who just tick me off to no end.

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:32:57 pm »
Boy, those two sound like buyers from hell.  I would think the first one would have had to honor the eBay contract that when he won the auction as the shipping price was clearly stated.  Anything less and wouldn't the buyer be breaking the contract?  I have also heard there is a single checkout where the buyer can pay once for multiple sellers and if one seller offers free shipping, the buyer can skirt the requirements to pay shipping on the other items from different sellers.  There is a button in the sellers requirement that stops this.
Unfortunately, there are many unethical people out there that cause the rest of us problems.  Stephen Hawking's new book says there is no God, but I hope he is wrong and these sinners eventually get their comeuppance.   

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:11:42 pm »
Agree with everything wayward said, very sad. Funny that I was watching Stephen Hawking youtube videos all morning. What a coincidence. :P

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 08:07:26 pm »
They were awful. I've never in my years on ebay dealt with such jerks. I went ahead and paid for the shipping but I blocked him from bidding on my auctions again. Sad thing is, he himself is a seller so I hope Karma kicks in soon. Think I will try Craigslist and see what happens there. Many thanks again for all the helpful responses!