Author Topic: Campaign Button  (Read 1788 times)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Campaign Button
« on: September 16, 2010, 03:21:29 pm »
I found this old button in FIL's storage unit.  I don't know if it's a real campaign button, or a salesman sample, or what.  On the back it says, "...COIN and your photo and we will reproduce your picture on a button."  In pencil, "114637.  Then "H.A. Palmer & Co".  If it's a real campaign button, is there any way to find out who the candidate is?  From the clothing, it looks like this pic dates from the very early 1900s. 

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:23:20 pm by CuriousCollector »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Button
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:57:53 pm »
You might want to see if your local library or book store has a book like this
http://www.amazon.com/Price-Collectible-Pin-Back-Buttons-1896-1986/dp/0870696041
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:53:21 pm »
I have that book.  CuriousCollector, I do not know why you would think this is a campaign pinback.  Most of these real photo portrait pinbacks are not campaign buttons.  Some are mourning pinbacks (wear a photo of the deceased in honor of them) and some were made up as souvenirs for your sweetie like at a fair.  The paper insert in the back is pretty self-explanatory.  A photo, some money, and you have a little button to give to your girlfriend, etc.  The guy kind of looks like a young Abe Lincoln.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:40:53 am »
I guess I've never seen them where they weren't campaign buttons!  Thanks, everyone!  I'll look for that book, and ask around in the family if his face is familiar.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:29:59 am »
CuriousCollector, campaign pinbacks have a slogan or writing on the face of the pinback letting you know what campaign they are running.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 11:07:57 am »
Many a young girl blushed at the man of her dreams when he had one of these made at a local fair for her.  Many a mom wore the picture of a loved one for comfort and in sorrow lest they forget.
The hunt continues to find the handsome young man of the past!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!