Author Topic: Philada  (Read 2615 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Philada
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:56:24 am »
Here are pictures of Philada. This is the time period when the bottlers were having to start to register their products. Taxes! These bottles haven't been tumbled, so they aren't as clean as they could be.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Philada
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:07:34 am »
Another example a stout bottle

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:34:30 am »
So, "Philada" was an old abbreviation used during in late 1700s to the early 1830s and not later?  I do not know how old those bottles are.  It would be odd for your mug to have this old abbreviation of "Philada" unless it is an old period piece when this abbreviation was in use OR the mug is a later "souvenir" piece made to commemorate the earlier history.  I would have the mug looked at in person by an expert stoneware/pottery collector.  They could probably just glance at the mug and tell if it is early 1800s or a more recent commemorative.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 05:05:20 pm »
The stout is oldest bottle. It's pontiled meaning before machinery.That would date the stout between 1618 to1866 from what my books say. The newest has registered mark.The late1800's is when the word "registered" was put at the bottom for taxes purposes. So, Philada had to be as early as the mug. As I did my reading there is a possibilty it could have been a commemorative mug from the fifties. It was given to this person from someone who lived in the Alley. I just found that out. The  gift was given to them in the late 40's maybe 50's. This is when they started the El frethe's Alley Assoc. I won't know this for sure until I hear from the museum.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 07:52:26 pm »
Wow! Very cool!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:00:25 am »
Greenacres - would the color on the first bottle be considered yellow or brown? I am reading that "canary yellow" bottles for soda and beer are rare since it was too costly.  These are really cool!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:37:52 am »
I just got this one. It would be better if it had a name. I have a lo of bottles.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:07:53 pm by greenacres »