Author Topic: Need Help Please with Info/value of Humpback Trunk from 1880's  (Read 8194 times)

ibleedart

• View Profile
Need Help Please with Info/value of Humpback Trunk from 1880's
« on: January 21, 2011, 07:57:28 am »
I really need some help on this please. :)  I don't know much of anything but through research found that this is a humpback trunk, the lock is from July 9, 1872 and it is possibly from the 1880's from the patent mark.  I also know the interior shelvings are missing and the Victorian-style picture of the woman is common on trunks.  It's a fairly large trunk though and I haven't been able to find a similar one anywhere online through research or find out who made it, etc.

The trunk is in fairly good shape considering what is thought to be its age (1880s?).  Dimensions are 34" x 22" x 19 1/3".  No mold that I can see.  Slight rusting to the metal parts and normal wear to wood.  Only the one strap pictured is intact, the other side one is broken as well as the front even though pieces of them remain.  The hardware on top says "Pat Mar 1880" which is the patent date from the research I've done.  The lock says Pat Jul 972 which is apparently the patent date of the lock as July 9, 1872.  I don't know much else about this as I received it from a friend that didn't want it.  Any info and/or value would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much! :)  I'm really desperately searching for info on this because I might have to sell it since I'm out of work right now and my husband doesn't make very much to support us (we have 2 small boys), but everyone I call wants me to name a price and I have no idea what to tell them since I know virtually nothing about it.  Thanks again for any help! :)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:05:53 am by ibleedart »

waywardangler

Re: Need Help Please with Info/value of Humpback Trunk from 1880's
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:20:41 am »
A fairy common immigrant trunk that looks like it is in very good condition.  Price depends on the area of the country that you are in.  I am in the Midwest and these are common here although condition on most I see is poor.  Smaller ones bring more and flat top trunks are used as coffee/end tables.  Yours would bring $75-100 in my area and possibly more to the right buyer.  The size of your trunk is a common size and not deemed "large" by trunk standards.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 10:22:04 am »
In my area the camel back trunks are between $75. and $125. !!

ibleedart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 08:34:47 am »
Thanks so much for all of your help! :)