Author Topic: Grandpa's Cordial Glasses  (Read 1137 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Grandpa's Cordial Glasses
« on: October 23, 2010, 01:51:47 pm »
I have no idea how to search glass patterns and being a bit lazy by asking here but here goes.

These came out of my Gma & Gpa's house.  They aren't older than 1976 (when Gpa died) but they could be from my Gma's parents.  They could also be Safeway give away's since my Gma worked there. I have no idea or any desire to sell just looking for a description or any opinions so I can pass on to future generation when the time comes (like my death)

They are 4.75" high and 2.5ish" across...
No roundness in the decoration... very square in the cuts..
Seem heavy.  They weigh 7.1oz each - Is this an indication of lead content?

Thanks for your help. 

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Grandpa's Cordial Glasses
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 01:53:53 pm »
This style was very popular in the 40's through 60's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 03:25:54 pm »
Glass is really tough to track but it can be done   will search some tonight when I get home.   hows the sound ??
When tapped carefully with the edge of a fork or "pinged" with a flick of the fingernail, lead crystal emits a characteristic ringing sound that cut glass cannot produce. The crystal ring lasts several seconds, while glass produces a less satisfying "plunk" sound.

Cut glass and lead crystal glass can be heavy. Cut glass gets its weight from a heavier volume of glass that makes the end product quite thick. Lead crystal glass is thinner in profile but just as heavy or heavier than cut glass because of its high lead content.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 03:56:24 pm »
Thanks Wendy... Don't look too long tho - as I said I'm looking for a description but it's not super important to me from a value standpoint.  They are already irreplaceable  ;D I just would like to know a bit more. 

I unpacked one and sure enough...  it rings.  I have some nice modern crystal and it made the same ring (diff pitch).  I found a cut glass sample and heard the plunk... The rim is about the same thickness as my good bar set sooo it sounds like crystal...

I have one more example of glass to post which I'll do now but again, don't spend too much time...  I so appreciate the help.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey