Author Topic: Grandfather clock age and value  (Read 6125 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Grandfather clock age and value
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 10:19:43 pm »
   I keep looking at the face of the clock, That look Antique to me,  Not the expert but the patina and just the look.    Is it possible to get a good clear shot of the hinge and the hardware holding it to the wood, may be a clue here to help clear up the age.   

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 12:22:59 am »
I agree Wayward... I don't think Tales is wrong on that point. That backboard does look solid oak to me, even the seat board, and this, I think, was probably was a very nice clock in its day, and is certainly worth having as a serious restoration project (although over on this side of the pond the price of long-cases is not as high as they once were, nevertheless still are valuable). If Pete could find a name on the back of the mechanism then that would certainly help.
I'm fairly confident that his clock is contemporary with the one found for Bilbie, possibly even a little earlier than that example. For me it just looks 'right', even from those photos, and I would certainly give it house room. 

woodsy pete

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 07:11:37 am »
Here are some more close-ups, hopefully they'll help. Sorry about the quality of the pics but they've all been shot after dark and the lighting in my house is obviously abit dim for this sort of stuff. I believe that the entire cabinet is made of oak and I don't see anything that appears to be wrapped in veneer. I included a close-up of the back panel which is for sure solid wood, not plywood.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 08:54:11 am »
Hi Woodsy,
The new pics certainly do help, if only to confirm that it is an honest piece. What Gingertom was suggesting was that the main frame was basically pine with an oak veneer, not that it would have been made of plywood. However, at that time, it could easily have been far more expensive, and required a great deal of craftsmanship, to have started with a pine base and veneered it with oak ... far cheaper and easier to make the whole thing from oak, which was more abundant then than now.
It has been through the wars in places, and would require a bit of restoration if you planned to sell it on, either by you or the buyer, but if you plan to keep it (I certainly would), with a bit of time and effort you could have yourself a beautiful clock there.
It does seem so strange that someone would have made such a bodged job of scratching a date on like that, especially in such a prominent place.
I'm no expert, so I couldn't say whether it does date from 1838, but it could quite easily be, and there are so many similarities, in style, between yours and the Bilbie, right down to the style of the chapter ring, that I would wager that they are contemporaries, and not that far apart. Fashions in clocks are the same as fashions elsewhere, cabinet makers will copy what is popular at the time, but a particular style will remain in fashion for only so long. The only other reason for similarities would be that it was a reproduction, and I'm 100% certain that it isn't.
Good luck! A nice piece.

woodsy pete

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 09:15:23 am »
Here are 2 that I've found on the net that seem to be quite close to mine in appearance and build. One is an Andre Sauveur and one is a Baylis Jno...Both are from the 1700's oddly enough.

http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/pages/clock7482.php
http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/pages/clock5893.php

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 09:26:07 am »
Superficially, the Baylis certainly has some similarities. It would be nice to have a few more images of it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 03:39:47 pm »
The hardware looks good. Neat old hinges that match the handle on the door. The more I see of the details, the more I'm inclined to believe that 1838 date. A good, reputable clock repair shop could probably confirm it for you, and if the clock hasn't had regular maintenance it would be good to take it into a clock shop for a tune-up. According to the clock repair place I use, they should be cleaned and any worn gears replaced about every ten years or so to keep them running for the next generation. I spent about $100 on a tune up a few yeas ago. It costs a bit, it is a small investment spread out over ten years. Which brings up the fact that it is possible that the mechanics of the clock may not be original or may be only partially original, since they do need repair from time to time, gears wear down etc., so keep that in mind if it turns out that the mechanics are later than 1838.

Way cool clock you've got there. Love it! What a treasure! :D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 09:08:37 pm »
Seems to me to be a bit of an amalgam of various parts , with some interesting cabinet details .

One simple (& not too scary) 'test' is to remove the hands , weights & pendulum , then unfasten the clockworks from the board they are attached to .
A close inspection of the board under the clockworks will reveal weather or not there was a different clockworks installed previously (look for more screw-holes & 'seating' marks in various places there) .

The mortise for the lock on the cabinet front door seems to have been made for another lock , previous to the current one .

Some of the repairs that have been made to your unit seem less skilled than others .

I'm happy to hear that your clock keeps good time , BTW !

The hammered-tenon portions of the clockworks are an indicator of a less-than-'top-end' quality works - high quality clocks that I've seen through the years tend to be precision-machined throughout , although there are exceptions where a designer/clockmaker takes such short-cuts in 'striker' assemblies .

All in all , I'm glad you've got a working survivor of an earlier time , woodsy pete !