Author Topic: Old Street Signal (Red Yellow... Blue?)  (Read 2368 times)

Cryogenics

• View Profile
Old Street Signal (Red Yellow... Blue?)
« on: October 15, 2010, 11:49:48 pm »
Hey guys, I have a weird item here, and I don't know anything about it other than that it's an old street signal that hangs at an intersection or street. It's apparently fixed up so you can plug it into your wall and have all 3 lights shine. I would really like to know if it's (I've been told it's from the 1950s by my father) collectable, worth anything, where i can even sell it, etc. I have no idea what to do with this, haha, but I have been looking everywhere to see if I can find any for sale.
-----
Here are a few pictures of what I have here:

-----
The bottom light is actually blue-green, which is weird. Thanks for any information you guys give me, appreciate it

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Old Street Signal (Red Yellow... Blue?)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 12:03:19 am »
I love old street lights! Super cool. Are there any names/numbers/markings/stickers on the outside? Best way to date it would be by a company name or model number. They seem to sell well on ebay but they are heavy so shipping can be a pain. Next best place would be craigslist. They sell fast in my area. Since yours is working, someone will snatch it up. Prices are all over the place in my area (Seattle). They go for between $75 and $200. I'd say a good asking price would be about $120.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:38:32 am »
I can't imagine a "stop light" with a 1" galvanized/black steel pipe connection, but anyway my first thought was that it is a theatre or stage light.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 02:10:50 am »
I was a little concerned by the fact that they were full 'shades', but it does seem that they used to be made like that. I think that there was possibly an accompanying set of lights as below.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 02:27:30 pm »
Full shades were very common, especially in area of the country where there is lots of sunshine!!!!!!!!!  (Fl & CA definitely had full shades when I was growing up!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 02:30:58 pm »
Full shades were very common, especially in area of the country where there is lots of sunshine!!!!!!!!!  (Fl & CA definitely had full shades when I was growing up!)

Ah... Florida... California... and sunshine ... yes, a vague memory stirs deep inside ...I think there are times we could get away with no shades at all over here!!   :(

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:59 pm »
My husband is from California, too. Here (Washington), he calls the sun "Bob." Bob hardly ever comes out. Every once in awhile he bobs out from behind a tree. I've never owned a pair of sunglasses in my life!

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 01:08:48 am »
STOP, I would proceed with CAUTION before you GO and do anything with this light!  ;D  Full shades were implemented in my part of the country (Midwest) so drivers waiting at the light could not see what color the light was changing to in the lane to the right of them or current lane that had 'GO'.  Previously, they would see the light changing from Green to Yellow to Red and jump the gun before it turned Green to signal them to GO. Full shades made this much harder to see in daylight at least.  Full shades also greatly reduced sun washouts so one could see what color the light actually was.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 11:53:54 am »
I would YIELD to waywards knowledge on this one!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!