Author Topic: Dating Nails - not romantically :)  (Read 2050 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Dating Nails - not romantically :)
« on: October 01, 2010, 10:47:07 am »
I have my Gma's chair but in order for it to live happily in my home it needs to be reupholstered.  There were several layers but the last layer was tacked on with these nails.  From my reading, I believe they are post 1800 but prior 1880?  Can anyone confirm or more precisely determine a time frame?  Are the striations underneath the flat headed nails significant of anything?  And finally...  The round headed (pin like) nail...  What was it's primary use? It was not visible, meaning covered by fabric but I thought it interesting that it was rounded at the top. 

Maybe it keeps it from ripping fabric that is being pulled tight? Thank you in advance for your help.

Assortment - They are square and the flat heads are not symetrical. 

Underside of a flat headed nail showing striations

Close up of the round headed nail

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

Re: Dating Nails - not romantically :)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:46:03 pm »
The flat head ones are tacks and the round-headed ones are clinching nails.  I have an old box of the clinching nails.  The sharp, narrow ends are meant to be nailed over with a hammer.  Kind of like peened back into the wood or leather to hold better.  I am not sure of the age but new ones look pretty much like old ones so I do not think you can date furniture with them.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 12:58:47 am »
Ditto!  Thanks wayward for good info!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 04:39:36 am »
Hello.  I found this web site, that actually gives very good info on dating your furniture by it's hardware (nails). It gets very specific and even mentions the striations you find on the nail shaft.

http://www.journalofantiques.com/Aug02/businessaug02.htm 
mFp Approved

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 02:48:57 pm »
Thanks all...  Sin: I saw that article and it's a good one. I just wish they had more pics.  Or...  I suppose I could order the article they reference (if I weren't so cheap!)
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:08:56 pm »
I like the word cheap for myself....but my family likes to say "thrifty"!   :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 04:15:36 pm »
Another nice source for nails with good pics.  Thought I'd post here for future reference...

http://www.harpgallery.com/library/nails.htm