Author Topic: 2 drawer cherry end table  (Read 2572 times)

firenze

• View Profile
2 drawer cherry end table
« on: October 24, 2010, 03:17:57 pm »
I earlier posted a question regarding (2) tables.
I have more photos so have separated the tables and created 2 postings.
This is the 2 drawer end table. Hope these shots give a better idea .
Thanks Liz

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: 2 drawer cherry end table
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »
Am I seeing initials underneath the top of the table or is this just the wood?  Is there any writing underneath any of the drawers?  Can you tell if it has ever been refinished?  When you look inside is there any evidence of repair work?

Pics of the top would be good.  

I'm no expert - not even close - just spent hours researching a similar one of my own so take this for what it's worth. My first glance opinion is this table is Sheraton Style and probably from the early to mid 1800's.  I may be wrong but the wood knobs are usually associated with the Victorian Era altho they were used earlier as well.  You see these Mahogany tables run the spectrum on cost.  I see them often for $200 (bit more $ with 2 drawers) and all the way up in the thousands.  Honestly, I have yet to determine what causes the gap in pricing.  

Edited because sometimes I'm rather idiotic and asked for things already posted  :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:12:16 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

firenze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:35:07 am »
I see no evidence of repair work. Also, no markings, initials, etc.   And, I would say almost certainly that it was
refinished at some recent time.
Thanks for the post  Liz

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:00:44 am »
Are you able to post a picture of the underneath so we could see the method of construction? Also, any pictures of metal hardware like nails or screws. Hardware is a pretty big factor when determining age, although it can also be misleading if it has been replaced. Cool piece!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:02:56 am »
Oops, my bad. That is the underneath. I'm a little confused looking at them, lemme try a little harder lol

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 09:05:16 am »
Oh, did you sit the drawer in the underneath to take the pic? If so, can you take a pic of the underneath without the drawer resting in it? Or maybe I'm still confused.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:31:00 am by hosman321 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:15:28 am »
Agree...  Clear pics of the inside would be helpful and of the top. 

I think my Pembroke is early.  It has turned legs and when I look at them closely I can see differences in the width of the turned rings.  I can't see this in yours but it may be that I can't get close up and personal.  When you look closely do you differences in yours?
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

firenze

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 12:42:10 pm »
Here is a photo of the table top and a close up of the inside. On this shot, I took the bottom drawer off.
Hope this helps. Thanks  Liz

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:20:59 pm »
I must say.....the underside looks a heck-of-a-lot different condition than the top!  Hmmmmmmmm

I was betting the item was newer from the outside....but the insides say at least early 1900's.

The thing that is bugging me is....I have never had a end table with a lock on it.  What are the dimensions of the piece?  Looks taller than an end table.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:37:27 pm »
I think there is still a drawer in that last pic?
KC - I have seen a few with locks on various auction sites but not to common

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:43:13 pm »
I'm casting my vote for 1890-1910. What do you guys think?