Author Topic: lovely small Roman brooch that i found today  (Read 4361 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: lovely small Roman brooch that i found today
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 03:33:52 pm »
The only other places I've really felt comfortable using it have been on beaches and in the ghost town I was telling you about. The situation was that this ghost town is at the bottom of a reservoir. The whole town was torn down and submerged by a water in 1953, but recently they were doing some waterpipe work and had to drain the whole thing. There's a bridge down there, foundations, steps, old roads, tree trunks, it's pretty cool. They have been submerged again, so it is no longer available.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 07:11:35 pm »
We lived in the boonies when we did it, so no club -- but hmmm!  I wonder if there is one locally!

Our brand was Minelab, and was one of the best you could have if you wanted to hunt in water.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 09:52:20 pm »
I have always had a hankering to get one.....might just have to do that!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 09:55:10 pm »
Christmas is coming, we could all ask our Santas for metal detectors this year and post our finds!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 08:37:00 am »
We have a metal detecting club locally, called Treasure Hunters of Santa Clara Valley, which seems like a good way to be able to do this. They have larger, organized events where they have permission to hunt and even work on crime scenes with local authorities. I was thinking they would be a good way to be able to hunt worry free:

http://www.members.tripod.com/~waipahuhaole1/treasurehunters.html

But I kinda feel like I ought to get a decent metal detector before showing up with my cheapy!

No need to feel that way.  Today's more inexpensive detectors (as long as they're made by reputable companies) are great bargains for the money.  Tho I have a Compass which really seeks deep it weighs twice what the $100 Bounty Hunter I bought does.  I use the BH much more, and it does a great job. Knowing how to use your detector does make a difference.  Great idea someone had about opening a new thread on metal detectors.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 10:24:33 am »
Great find Jimmy! What's crazy is that I just now read this for the first time. But yesterday I joined a metal detecting group on yahoo because I wanted to learn more about it. Then, I told myself I was going to ask for a metal detector for Christmas! I guess all our great minds think alike. I'm worried about really getting involved in the hobby though with all the laws and rules. Seems like it would just suck the joy out of it. And I know I wouldn't keep up with going on the group outings. I guess I could go to family member's houses though. And my own backyard is pretty huge.