Author Topic: Need Help Locating Original Newspaper Covering the Jenny Lind Explosion  (Read 4921 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Need Help Locating Original Newspaper Covering the Jenny Lind Explosion
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 02:09:37 pm »
I got the newspaper the other day and I have to say, there is nothing quite like holding the original in your hand and reading the story. That alone was worth what I paid for it. It is fragile, so I'm glad that I opted to donate a nicely framed scan. The framing is coming along nicely and the scans turned out great. I'll post some photos of the final result.

What I got was a whole newspaper and I've started reading through some of the other articles. This one I thought was particularly interesting. It is a great example of the kind of reporting that enticed our ancestors to go west- Tales of gold dust, quick earnings and giant lumps of gold!

I am however posting this with a CONTENT WARNING because one of the old place names uses the "N-word". So I am posting an off-site link to the article. I didn't want to censor the original content, it is what it is. That said, aside from the place name, this is an interesting bit of old Goldrush history! Enjoy!

Report from California- "The Mines". New York Times May 13th, 1853:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x124/talesofthesevenseas/1853NewspaperNYTimesTheMinesArticle.jpg
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:11:40 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 02:18:51 pm »
I love reading through the old advertisements and stories, thanks for the post! I agree that there's nothing like holding the original. Sometimes I close my eyes for a second and imagine who could have read one of my papers 100, 200, sometimes 400 years before me.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 02:32:42 pm »
I could post the Jenny Lind article too if it would be of interest. I have brought it up so many times recently I didn't want to "Jenny Lind" everyone to death!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 05:06:56 pm »
lol tales, I'm sure nobody minds it one bit! We all love history, post away!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 05:28:30 pm »
Here you are, click to view them up-close. In the second part my grandfather John S. Bradbury is #21 and his friend Caleb Winsor is #22.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 05:31:01 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 06:29:13 pm »
Tales, what an horrific accident. Thank heaven that unlike our papers today, they had no splash of photos.....the descriptions are terrible enough.

Reading the article I couldn't help but think back to a terrible explosion in my own hometown that took place in December of 1917. Two war time ships, one a fully loaded munitions ship, collided in the harbor. As a 9 year old living 150 mi. away on an island, my mother still remembered feeling the vibration in her home and pictures and plates on the wall rattling and falling.  The death toll was high, the number of injured staggering, the city devastated. The following day 16 inches of snow fell in a blizzard.

We can only read and imagine the pain, horror and loss and count ourselves lucky to have never experienced any such tragedy in our lifetimes.

Were it not for these found/saved/archived newspapers so much of our local (and in cases like yours, family) history would never be recovered to be passed on to future generations ........ such a loss would be a tragedy in itself.

If you have ever heard of (or seen) the huge Christmas tree that is erected in Boston each year........it is a perpetual gift from Nova Scotians to Boston and the entire state for their swift and generous aid immediately following the Halifax Explosion. Each year a family has the proud distinction of having a tree cut from their land and making it's way south of the border, along with the thanks of the people of Nova Scotia........anoth er way of keeping the knowledge and memory alive.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 06:44:52 pm »
I find it hard to read those descriptions even though it's been 150 years! What can I say, that was my grandpa!  :'( 

Actually my family OMITTED the circumstances of John's death from all our genealogical records, even the published genealogy. I think this was out of consideration for his widow who was still living at the time of publication. I don't think his daughter was ever told how her father died and if she knew, she never passed it on. She was only five months old at the time of his death and at age four they moved from Guilford NY to Waterton Wisconsin when my widowed grandmother remarried. The only reason we found out about all this was when Wilma (the recipient of Oceans64's musket ball donation) at the Guilford Historical Society took it upon herself to go in search of John's living descendents and found me on Ancestry.com.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 07:47:59 pm »
The only reason we found out about all this was when Wilma (the recipient of Oceans64's musket ball donation) at the Guilford Historical Society took it upon herself to go in search of John's living descendents and found me on Ancestry.com.

How incredibly thoughtful of her!! Isn't it amazing (and heartwarming) how people who themselves have a deep interest in their own or local history will go that extra mile to help others find their connections too?

As sad as the circumstances were for your family I can understand the omission. Luckily the entire story was not lost altogether and can now takes it's place as a very important part of the family 'puzzle'.

waywardangler

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 07:51:42 pm »
Sapphire, what a nice gesture from the Nova Scotians and the Christmas tree gift.  I have never heard of that history before.