Author Topic: The Statues that stumped the Roadshow...  (Read 1656 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
The Statues that stumped the Roadshow...
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:27:17 pm »
These statues stumped the Road Show when in Seattle about 10 years ago but I am hoping someone here can recognize them. 

The story is that they were given to my Grandpa in the mid 40’s by someone who was working for Paramount Pictures in Seattle when they were located at 2nd and Bell. Baba worked there probably doing janitorial work.  I can’t find anything about Paramount having a Studio there but this was the Theater District in Seattle at the time.  By 1928/9 Paramount opened a theater on 9th Ave where it stands today but they must have maintained some offices on 2nd?  Dad isn’t usually wrong about stuff like that since he used to help him clean offices when he was small. 

The Paramount is described as being “lavishly decorated in the French Renaissance style of the palace in Versailles”   http://www.seattle-fun.com/paramount-theatre-seattle.html  I think they look more Greek but what do I know…

They are packed away and these are the only pics I have right now.  The mark is a bit fuzzy but maybe someone recognizes that characters?  I’m still looking.  As always thanks for your help!

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Statues that stumped the Roadshow...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:21:31 pm »
They were stumped?  What did they say at all?  Curious!

I really like this site....don't know if you have seen this one.
http://www.stgpresents.org/paramount/

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:28:58 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 03:45:49 pm »
I kind of doubt this will be much help......bit small to work with.  But giving it a go anyway.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 03:50:45 pm »
OK, that didn't work.......I can see it in a much larger size in my photo program, but doesn't work here :P

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:09:45 pm »
Thanks for trying Sapphire...I'm sorry about the pic quality.

KC - Thanks for the site. I had seen that. The Paramount is one of our fav places. We go to shows there once or twice a year. It's quite impressive so I was surprised to hear these came from Paramount Studios altho I question whether or not they were actually at the Paramount Theater.  I'll call Dad tomorrow and try to get more specific info.  His story has always been that AR could tell him NOTHING about who or when they were made - I have heard that 3-4 times now from him.  If memory serves their value was $100 range as a set but that maybe high?  I think she is missing some grapes (holding arm over her head - doesn't it seem like she should have grapes in hand?)
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 02:21:57 am »
  I think she is missing some grapes (holding arm over her head - doesn't it seem like she should have grapes in hand?)

She could be examining a grey hair   ;D

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 05:22:18 pm »
Talked to my Dad...  He thinks these were given to Baba in 1942/3 so I guess they are older than that.  I'll be down there in Jan so I'll try to get a better pic of the mark then.  Thanks for the help tho.  Maybe they'll show up in an old Movie I'm watching someday   ;D