Author Topic: More Glass...13" Wine Glasses & a funny story  (Read 2934 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
More Glass...13" Wine Glasses & a funny story
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:00:17 pm »
I wasn't going to post these but since I had to unpack them while searching for the Pitcher I guess I will.  These were a gift from hubby's Mom so most likely (almost 100%) older/maybe vintage/reminds me of the 70's. I searched eBay and Liveautioneers and found a few similar but nothing exact or with details of possible maker.  Doubtful they are valuable but if someone could point me in a direction, I will do the research. They stand about 13-1/8" tall and make a wonderful sound when cleaning them altho....

Here's the funny story is (and I would love to hear similar so I know I'm not the only one):

I HATE these glasses - lol.  They are either haunted (doubtful), have followed me from a past life (more doubtful), or I'm a wee bit crazy (probable).  Logically they are pretty enough, not exactly my taste but nice enough and I don't mind researching them. However, when I have to handle them, I get an incredible feeling of rage and that's not an exaggeration. I swear I am not an angry person!!! If I pick one up, all I want to do is smash it on the nearest hard surface I can find. Even now I have a headache having taken pics.  This is why the live in the back of the cupboard. They make me shudder just thinking about touching them - lolol.  I have no idea why... They aren't terrible looking by any means

Anyway, here they are. Any idea of style or just generic glass?

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: More Glass...13" Wine Glasses & a funny story
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 03:56:51 pm »
My advice, keep them out for daily use ... the life expectancy of a glass  in our house is probably less than 3 months ... problem solved  ;D

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 04:10:33 pm »
Well Oceans They are making me a little angry as well tryin to track them down and I have not even touched them!! ;) I would say from looking at them they are not generic glass  they appear from photos to be hand blown &  well done. Glass is a tough one in photos only. The twist in the stem is very unique and colors are soft. Please resist smashing them as best you can ;D will keep searching.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 04:14:44 pm »
I have seen these being sold retail, but I can't recall exactly where. I remember looking at them and thinking that they were very impractical because they would be extremely "top-heavy".
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 05:23:44 pm »
@Tales...  They remind me of some of the glass I see at Pier One type stores however the glass for the bowl is much thinner than what I have seen retail.  They sing when you clean out the bowls with a damp rag. Not top heavy at all.  That said, IMO, they are impractical due to size.  I knock over regular size glasses not to mention issues with dog tails (which is why I prefer my wine in a coffee cup - lol). 

hahaha Wendy...  I put them on a shelf I cant see without trying (low to ground) so they are safe for the moment.  I'll have to pack em up again for the impending move but they're safe for now   ;)  3 weeks ago they were very close to Goodwill but I couldn't do it since they were a gift AND I figured they wouldn't survive the transfer. 
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 05:48:57 pm »
Yes, Pier 1, CostPlus, Burlington Coat etc. One of those household retailers was where I saw it. Probably was just something similar

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:45:42 pm »
hahaha  my wine goes in a coffee mug too   ;)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:56:04 pm »
    Well I kind of like them.  Just a thought though they could be used as votive candle holders.  They tend to be taller, but usually have different sizes.  I have seen many that even have the round bottom like a wine Glass.  Even though they probably are wine glasses.  I agree they are probably hand blown, you can tell really well at the top of the stem where it meet the bowl of the Glass where they fused the two parts together.  Anyway I have not seen any like these before and could very well see them on the shelf of pier one.   

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:44:46 pm »
Regift them to someone else!  I have learned from over the years...you can't hold on to everything...so why hold on to "haunted" glassware?  Maybe it is because they want to be with someone who will use them or put them in a place of esteem!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 09:39:16 am »
Great idea, KC!  Regifting can be the 'new' green theme.  I tell myself how green I am everytime I go to a sale...why buy new when you can buy used?

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 10:00:19 am »
MIL came to Thanksgiving.  She thinks she bought the glasses at an estate sale so they're still an unknown.  I told her my story and she said "Get rid of 'em"!!!  A couple of people offered to take them off my hands so (of course) my hubby decided they were his most prized possession and we were never getting rid of them.  Ahem...  wanna bet?  For now they are getting re-packed.  In 6 months he will have forgotten all about 'em...  again. Someone (who we don't visit often) is getting wine glasses for Christmas next year - or eBay - LOL

BTW  She bought the Blenko pitcher at the same sale for $10-20 so she was happy to hear it was worth $60   ;D

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 10:40:15 am »
my hubby decided they were his most prized possession and we were never getting rid of them.  Ahem...  wanna bet?

OH NOOOOOOOOOO, hubby loses again! Although married most of my adult life, i am single/divorced now but one thing i learned very early on was, NEVER get in the way of a woman & her decorating plans, very bad mojo there.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 12:55:46 pm »
LOL @ Jacon4! You are as smart as my husband!  ;)