Author Topic: Cleaning question  (Read 1562 times)

Redfrog42

• View Profile
Cleaning question
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:00:03 am »
Hi guys I have need of you vast knowledge. At work I have an old teddy bear made in England. He's pretty big about 20inches or so tall and his legs and arms are movable. He's made from some type of hardish body maybe stuffed with sawdust? His fur seems real. Its a cream color and kind of curly. In a few places the fur is pealing away and you can see the animal skin. Well his fur is really dirty in some places and when I tried to gently comb out the bad parts some fur started pulling out so I stopped.

Can I spot wash him? I am willing to buy something to clean him with but I want to know the best way to clean him before I try anything else.

waywardangler

Re: Cleaning question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:08:01 am »
I would think the first thing you should do is determine the value, maker, age, and real composition.  If in fact that is real fur on skin and it has released due to age, then there is nothing to stop that.  It would be due to the tanning process at the time.  Remember, this was a child's toy meant for X number of years of use and not to last beyond that.  If this is a Steiff bear, you may have a valuable item and any spot cleaning, combing, etc. would greatly diminish its value to a collector.

I would not clean your bear but set him on a shelf to look at and enjoy.  Leave handling of him to an absolute minimum.  JMO.

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 12:09:36 pm »
Sorry to disapoint but steiff are german if English
English Teddy Bear Manufacturers:
Chad Valley   -  Chiltern -  Deans -   Farnell- Gabrielle - House of Nisbet  -   Merrythought   - Peacock   -Pedigree - Terry's  - Wendy Boston
If he is in the condition you say professional restoration only

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 01:46:41 pm »
Yes that is probaly mohair (made of goat hair) on your bear. I have an early jointed teddy that dates to the early 1900's that belonged to my grandmother that sadly, is in terrible shape. I agree with Gingertom, definitely should be left in the hands of a professional. I would contact your local "Doll hospital" (yes they are really listed as doll hospitals!) and let them assess what he needs. It could be that he should just be wrapped in acid-free tissue and stored in his present condition to preserve him. That is what I did with mine.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 07:55:10 pm »
If indeed very old....professional clean!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!