Author Topic: J Casartelli & Sons thermometer?  (Read 5870 times)

khunn

• View Profile
J Casartelli & Sons thermometer?
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:25:18 pm »
have not had time to clean it up yet( just bought at garage sale ). was wondering its age and what the right hand side measures( as its range is 26-33? )...left hand side measures fahrenheight and stands a bit over 3ft high. thnx for looking

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: J Casartelli & Sons thermometer?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:02:01 pm »
I'm wondering if this is a stick barometer?  Came across this one by Casartelli & Sons....circa 1860

http://www.oaktreeantiques.co.uk/clockspopups/stick%20barometer.htm

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:27:11 pm »
Found a little info on the company-J. Casartelli & Sons Ltd was out of Manchester, England. They indicators of different types, their own brands and improvements on a brand of indicator called Richards from the 1870s until 1914 or a little later.

http://www.archivingindustry.com/Indicator/sourceinfo.htm
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:38:27 pm »
A bit more here........

http://www.mosi.org.uk/media/33871458/theronchettifamily.pdf

John Baptist and Joshua Ronchetti

"John Baptist and Joshua Ronchetti, and probably Elizabeth, acquired a thriving business
in Market Street, trading as opticians, barometer makers, and philosophical and
mathematical instrument makers.  However, at the end of the 1840s, John Baptist went to
London and set up a business trading as Ronchetti Brothers, hydrometer and
thermometer makers, at 13, Fleet Street.

In 1851, the Manchester instrument-making firm was sold to Joseph Casartelli following
his marriage to Joshua's sister Harriet.  Joshua and Elizabeth then worked with their father
in the chemical business and took over when he emigrated.  However, a few years later,
they also moved, probably to London, and sold that business to Joseph Casartelli.  The
firm of Joseph Casartelli & Son became very successful and traded until the 1960s."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:43:37 pm »
I wanted to add this is a really cool item. Does it still function?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 09:48:12 pm »
I love it's patina, it has a really great look to it. Cool find!

khunn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 12:08:36 am »
I believe sapphire is correct in this being a stick barometer. Also, it appears to be working as it reads 72( same as the inside of my house ) and 30.3 ( current barometric pressure here is 30.23 ). wondering how I could find out the age and value of something like this?....thnx for looking

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:00:33 am »
Most definitely a stick barometer, and should be very easy to date accurately. Over here (UK), in working order, these can fetch quite a bit, usually £300 - £500 retail (obviously less at Auction), but they can certainly fetch a pretty penny such as with this one:

http://www.bonds-nautical-antiques.co.uk/items-for-sale/stick-barometer.html

I would say you've a really good find there, a nice piece.

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 04:41:38 pm »
There was a big deal out east with some state? or federal? laws that would have basically forbid the sale of mercury barometers that had the antique barometer dealers up in arms.  It was rescinded or something so it never took effect.

That is a very nice barometer.  I would hang that on the wall and enjoy it.  I always like to compare my readings with the weatherman's to see if mine are reading right or not.  So far they have been very accurate.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 10:41:59 pm »
Nice old instrument , khunn .

Do use care when 'cleaning it up' , due to the fact that the lower reservoir has to be 'open to the atmosphere' for the barometer to function (mercury can escape) .

In my neck of the woods -PacificNW , ones like yours (functional & intact) go for $150 to $300 , if from mid-to-late 19th century .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

khunn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 12:57:44 am »
contacted a business in Florida that buys, sells, and fixes old barometers. They said this particular model was used underground in mines and built/used from the 1860s-1890s. was also told it was not scarce...but then offered to buy it?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 01:18:23 am »
Nice Barometer.  Seller be cautious.  Search out the value first.  They wouldn't want to buy it if they couldn't resell it for more! "Today, many people like to collect barometers. Some of the most collectible antique barometers include old mercury stick barometers, marine barometers, and angle barometers. All of these styles are relatively difficult to find, and are much sought after by collectors."  "By 1900, aneroid barometers had replaced most mercury barometers, being easier to transport and less expensive." http://www.antique-collectable-clock.com/antique-barometers.html

This page has some more information and notes in "a little history" (after Figure 9)  that they made items for the mines!  Also some more useful information in the article as to a possible contact at "I contacted the Museum of Science & Industry in Manchester some time ago to see if they had any information about Casartelli regarding microscopes but unfortunately the Senior Archivist could offer little information, the above notes are from an article written for the Powerhouse Museum Collection based in Sydney, Australia"
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artoct07/iw-Casartelli.html

Good site to view - definitely believe yours falls under the scientific barometer - and most likely specialized.
This is a site with beautiful pieces and bet they could lend you information.  If you are in England they have fairs they are exhibiting at in 2011!
http://www.alanwalker-barometers.com/Showroom/Stick_Barometers/stick_barometers.html

Search out Victorian era barometers - the measurements on your are best represented during this time period.  Can you post a pic of your "entire" barometer - the bottom styling can help!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:09:52 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 04:06:34 am »
Sound advice from KC re 'seller be cautious' !
I can only comment on the trends over here in the UK ... and possibly some of my observations could also fit  in with Jacon's 'The grim realities for antiques' thread. But may not necessarily apply over in the States.
Some antiques  have really kept their value in recent times whereas others have literally dropped through the floor. I recall commenting a while back that the Brown furniture market had really taken a dive with the fashion for the minimalistic, uncluttered and modern look really tightening its grip over here...
What do seem to have kept their value pretty much are clocks and barometers (but not long-case clocks), especially quality items that can be named. I have a small collection of both, and managed to buy some at rock bottom prices, but 99% of the time I've been outbid or never even bothered to bid as the predicted hammer price was far too high. Stick barometers, over here, in good condition, have always fetched a good price.
Here is an example of a stick barometer used at a pit head c. 1900, and sold 2 years ago for £480 at one of our local auction houses.

http://www.bamfords-auctions.co.uk/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=FADEC08&LotRef=1522

It should be very easy to research yours, and to check the recent hammer prices (where you are) for similar items. As KC said, they wouldn't be offering to buy it off you if they weren't sure that they could sell it on, and that normally means at a profit. Also, would they be so keen to buy it if it were 'that common'?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:31:39 am by mariok54 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 08:53:25 am »
Also agree with the others on "Seller Beware".  If you'll excuse the pun...  My barometer for determining how common things are is eBay and there are none for sale there - past or present....
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey