Author Topic: Future antiques ?  (Read 2258 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Future antiques ?
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:20:38 am »
These tapestries my grandmother told me were called tromees. I'm not sure if I spelled that right. She bought them in New York. She did the needle work. The frames were exspensive. Will they be good future antiques? There are more of them I'm just showing some of them. I've never seen any others except on line. I hope they will be past on from generation to generation. Some maybe 30 yrs. old and some older.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Future antiques ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 11:22:52 am »
Theses are 2 more.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:44:07 am »
Believe you are referring to needlepoint pictures (not tapestries which are woven) called Tramme.  Tramme, pronounced tram'me or tra-may, also spelt Trame, is an old style of needlepoint which the design is laid out using horizontal long-stiched done by hand with yarn in the corresponding colors, instead of painted on the canvas.

These are priceless at this point because it was made by a special person in your life.

Now as for monetary value to collectors...many, many, many years from now they may hold a good monetary value if kept in good condition - but I wouldn't go to the bank on that.  You never know what will truly become a good antique in this area 1) unless it of of superior quality when it was first made, 2) it is indicative of a time/period of fashion for the era and 3) was made by an individual/company that becomes coveted/desired by collectors.

They are beautiful pieces from what I can see (of course cannot see the handiwork details from here) but the fact that she delighted herself in making items/art that can be enjoyed by all is a real blessing to your family.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 01:51:17 pm »
Thank you, She spent a lot of her time on these. I don't know how she had the patience. She took a lot of pride in them. I take good care them for her. They are priceless.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:53:16 pm by greenacres »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 02:16:33 pm »
It's wonderful to have something that your grandmother put so much of herself into!  :)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:29:40 am »
I love them all, they are very beautiful! All I can say is that condition will be everything in the future, keep them in good shape out of direct sunlight and away from fluorescent lighting, but still enjoy them on the wall and don't pack them away all the time. They should be enjoyed! In my opinion, they will probably have to be well over 100 years old to have any really good value. However, they would be priceless to me and real treasures if my grandmother made them. Also, put her name, approximate date made, city and state on the back of each one. An antique with provenance will have much better value than a nameless one. Pass them down and make sure the kids know how important they are, so they don't wind up disappearing at a yard sale.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 09:20:16 am »
I never thought of that. Thank you for that tip.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 11:51:20 am »
Even better yet, take a few pics and add them to the back of her with the pics!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 07:34:44 pm »
Even better, that way maybe they'll know my grandmother in some small way.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 01:19:21 pm »
I agree!  I have so many things that have been carried down through family and hold it dear because of the care that generations have taken to preserve them.  The sad thing is that the "things" are more recognizable than the people. To have pics of them with the items would make it "real" and more priceless to family - generations to come!  (Or even non-related people.)  In a high-tech generation of today (this site is a perfect example) there really isnt a good excuse ('cept for laziness and "good intentions to do it") for not documenting items this way.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 02:43:48 pm »
I agree I was thinking of the easiest way to do it. I was thinking of running copies of photos with the info. I'm not sure how I want to go about it. There are a lot of them.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 10:46:38 am »
Make good quality copies (acid free paper) and place in acid free envelopes.  (Acid free insures that it doesn't discolor your items from the back side over time!)  and simply place in back - secure with stainless steel pin or other attachment to the frame as much as possible (not to the back of the picture itself).

What a gift you are giving to others through the years and I am sure your Grandmother will be delighted that you value her/these prized possessions enough to establish historical records.