Author Topic: My Nana's Chair  (Read 3217 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
My Nana's Chair
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:30:50 pm »
Hi again...  Here is the chair that started my internet search on antiques.  It belonged to my Grandma and I have pics of my Dad with the chair in 1942 but it was probably around earlier than that.  As much as I have looked at chair styles in the past few days, I can't guess what it would be - Any opinions?

There were 4 layers of ulpostery on the seat back.  The last one was held down with the nails from my prior post and it was done professionally and most likely prior to my Grandparent's ownership.  They were depression era folks and would have saved their money before spending it on that.  In fact, I suspect subsequent upholstery layers were done by Nana. 
Written on the front of the chair in grease pencil is 1795.  There was a piece of thin cardboard supporting the batting in the backrest that said "1795 as 1845". I suspect the top most piece of the chair was added and the tops of the sides (of the back) were shaved off a bit.  You can see this in the pics.

The bottom support (stretcher?) seems hand made as it is not perfectly symmetrical.

There is another piece that fits on after the upholstery that is also hand carved.  I'm not sure if it originally went there or maybe on the top of the back rest where I suspect a piece was added later.

What I am curious about is an approximate date.  Could it really be 1795 or 1845? and any opinions on style of the chair?  And of course if you recognize a maker!!

I can’t thank you enough for all your help!

Front view of the chair after I started removing upholstery (sorry)

Side view of chair showing how the upholstery goes on the chair.

Naked Chair. Note how there is a tad bit shaved off the tops of the backrest in a "V"-ish shape.  This was probably done later, perhaps the last time it was upholstered professionally.

You can see where the hand carved piece was on the backrest.  It goes on after the upholstery.

Close up of the muslin (?) webbing used for the seat.  It was nailed on with the type of nails from my prior post.

Close up of the hand carved piece that goes on the back rest.

Top view of the caved piece showing saw marks.  The underside of the hand rests have similar saw marks

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: My Nana's Chair
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 06:13:06 pm »
I'm not a furniture expert but I can answer one or two of your questions and then leave the rest to the others.

The spindles which support the arm rests and taper into the legs were turned on a lathe. Although lathes were invented centuries before, the lathe wasn't commonly used until about the 1880's. So anytime you see turned spindles like this you can be pretty confident that it will date after 1880.

The numbers on your chair look like manufacturer's marks, probably a lot number or a model number that would help keep them from getting mixed up with other parts. I think that although the finish work on the backrest is hand carved, the rest of the chair looks very symetrical and manufactured to me, from what I can see in the photos. The style of the hand carved stretcher between the legs and the carved backrest look out of place with the rest of the chair to me. I'm wondering if these were an addition.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:29:52 pm »
My two cents...the carving does not appear to be done by hand and the saw marks look like this was cut out on a band saw.  The saw marks are not sanded out probably because this is the underside.  The finished sides are smooth because the saw marks were sanded out.  The uniform, perpendicular lines lead me to believe these are band saw marks.  My paternal grandparents had a a very similar styled chair - arms, carvings, upolstery, etc.  I would guess this was something they purchased after they married and kept for years.  My guess is 1900-1920.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 12:57:46 am »
I was betting early 1900's closer to the 20's to late 30's as well.

The carved piece on the bottom is similar in style to those that I have from the 20's...American made.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 03:31:38 pm »
I think you are right.  After reading your posts this AM, I got a little more aggressive with the chair. I carefully removed the nails from the top piece that I thought was added. This involved some mild cursing and a bit of blood but when I finally got it off it was all secured with modern nails.  Then I removed one of the wooden seat braces.  From the staining marks, I can tell it was there since the chair was made. They too are secured with modern nails…

Since I had come this far, I pulled and tugged and exposed some dowels that look modern as well.

As for the carved piece, I am wondering if my Gpa made it.  Wayward, you mentioned a band saw and that was one of his favorite tools.  Amoung other things, we used to make jigsaw puzzles from magazine pictures and cardboard when we were kids.  He’d pull out the band saw and cut it for us…  He was an artist (of many mediums) and making that piece would make sense.  That’ll be the story going forward anyway…

The square nails are still a mystery but honestly they saved this chair’s life.  It was on it’s way to Goodwill  but in a weak moment I pulled off the upholstery.  Now that I’ve researched and handled it all week, I’m getting excited about giving it new life. And…  I can be a bit more aggressive in my restoration efforts which suits me fine. 

Thanks again everyone…
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:41:46 pm »
Here's some pics of my finished chair.  Unfortunately, I had to use a flash so the gold is not showing up well but the color is red and a shiny gold with some green as an accent.  I love it and so glad I didn't donate it.  You can find me most nights sitting in this chair reading.  I also went to GW and bought a couple of broken chairs, tore them apart and made a footstool to match...  The footstool still needs a good oiling and a bit of touch up.  Not 100% happy with it but it works   ;D  I'll rebuild that in the spring when I can drag out some of the better tools.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 01:04:22 pm »
Ooh NICE! What a fantastic idea to make a footstool! I should do that for my "Eastie"! Looks great Oceans, what a difference!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 01:15:40 pm »
Nice work Oceans.
This takes me back a few years when an old friend had a set of six Regency revival dining chairs that needed reupholstering. I had just recently recovered a piano stool and did an 'OK' job, so she threw them in my direction. I owed her a favour so I accepted the challenge. I had no idea what I was doing, so as I took them apart I took careful note of how they'd been constructed and covered. A couple had wobbly legs to boot. About three months later I presented her with the finished product ... I must say I don't think I'd ever been so proud of anything that I'd ever accomplished before. They were so good she was suggesting I gave up my day job and do it full time. 6 chairs, 3 months? I think the cat would go hungry ...  ;D ;D

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:40:06 pm »
Hahaha Mario!  I made quite a production of eying the chair for a few weeks until the hubby said "Just start it already!!!"  Took a few days and a couple of 3AM wake up's pondering the next step after that. It was fun tho...

@Tales: Thanks - I love it.  I forgot to add that it's nice and creaky too.  Just the way you like it   :D  My one word of advice tho...  Do not underestimate the value of a good cushion.  I tried to stay true to the chair by using batting but come this Spring I'll be adding some foam at the request of my behind.   ;D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:18:54 pm »
@ Oceans: Yeah, there is just something about furniture that "talks" to you. I do miss that about the Shaker rocker. The Eastlake is very quiet, except it gives one loud groan of protest when tipping forward to let me out of it's comfy clutches! LOL! Nice work you did, it looks lovely.

I found that upholstery is kinda scary to start because once you commit to doing it, there is no turning back. I did the four dining room chairs and the Shaker rocker, but the Eastlake looks like it will be much more complex project. I can't tell a thing about how it is upholstered until I tear into it... literally!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 02:23:26 pm »
Oceans it looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!! love the fabric!!!!!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:59:09 pm »
Oceans, what a perfect 'fit'.....the upholstery looks as though it's been on it since the beginning.  Great choice and wonderful work!!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 08:13:26 pm »
What's funny is (in 40 years +) when my niece inherits this chair she'll probably be thinking...  "What in the heck was Aunt B thinking about when she upholstered this chair????"

It was good fabric so I'm hoping it holds out - LOL

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 04:35:14 pm »
Nice job and nice touch with the foot stool.  Your niece will then have to take "ownership" and "make it her own" with her own re-upholstery story!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!