Author Topic: Eastlake Rocker Value at Auction  (Read 3761 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Eastlake Rocker Value at Auction
« on: January 22, 2011, 05:34:05 pm »
I blame Tales for this....

While previewing the monthly auction I attend, I saw a rocker that reminded me of Tales latest purchase.  I have no need for it but I sat down and Mwaaaahhhh!!!!.....  Is it ever comfy.  Once recovered it would beat my gma's chair for comfort 100%.  It feels really stable but has a few condition problems that I'm a tad bit concerned about.  I'll post pics of those separately.  I see furniture going high at this particular auction so I'm not too hopeful. Plus between the buyers commission and sales tax you pay an additional 25%

What you you think my limit should be?  I ask b/c I'm thinking $40 but that's probably too low?
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Eastlake Rocker Value at Auction
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:37:04 pm »
More pics.... Also - It has brass (or gold colored casters)
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:45:27 pm »
Now the problems...  There is some separation on many of the sections that were put together when the chair was made.  I understand shrinkage but some repairs appear to have been "fixed" a bit on the sloppy side.  It feels stable so I'm not too worried about it falling apart but aesthetically, not so nice which IMO affects value.  The worst is the arm which you can see through the separation (may not show up on pic).  On the back of both arms someone has run a dowel through to stabilize.  One arm has 2 dowels, the bad arm has one...

In other places, small nails were placed to stabilize.  

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:09:05 pm »
Without waiting for all the pics to download,, from what you say the repairs are,, I would say not over $50. Wish people would learn about these "repairs" and stop making them !

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 07:47:45 pm »
LOL did I tell ya they were wicked comfy or what?! I agree, with issues I wouldn't go over 50. Mine sat for months on craigslist listed at $100 and ultimately my seer took $75 for mine.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 07:58:13 pm »
If you like it and its comfortable and you don`t mind the repairs as is,, I would probably buy it !!  Its a nice piece !

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:20:41 pm »
There are 2 Eastlake rockers there and this one goes 2nd.  I sat in the other and it was like "eh" no biggie...  I sat in this one and I swear someone made it for me! I think $50 is probably right too after looking at prices a little closer.  As I said, furniture can go for crazy $$ at this auction however there is more furniture than I have ever seen so that may work in my favor.  I may pay a little more for comfort and convenience seeing that I'm really not in the market for one of these.

I was laughing Tales...  It's like I am trying to copy you!  We all know how I feel about your apple peeler and now this!  hehehehe

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 10:31:05 pm »
When I replied above I was on my phone and couldn't see the photos. It's very pretty! Very similar to mine, but with a few differences. It's interesting to see the difference in the spring mechanisms. Yours has coils, whereas mine are spirals. I have exactly the same brass wheels on the front of mine. No upholstery on the arms of mine. I wish we could figure out if they are from different time periods or if they are just from different manufacturers. Interesing too that you had the same experience with one being a good fit and the not.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 08:42:48 am »
I think the springs may have been replaced on mine.  In one pic you can see a hole where it looks as if something was bolted but is no longer there.  I'm OK with the springs being replaced - That happens after years of use.  Most of the similar ones I've seen on line say 1880-1890's (as you probably know). Maybe when the upholstery comes off there'll be more clues.

Agree that sitting in the chair makes all the difference when choosing one.  I'm actually a little worried my hubby will find it as comfy as I did!  (selfish me!!) - LOL

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 02:20:40 pm »
My hubby can't even get into my Eastlake, so it is all mine! He wants a Lazy Boy, LOL *cringe*

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »
l won it for $50. With tax and commisssions it will be in the neighborhood of $60 since I'll get a discount for cash. I'm happy. I can make the repairs myself and no plans to sell anytime soon so I'll get my $ worth.

Pics to follow when I get it home. Am sure I'll need opinions on undoing then redoing some of the repairs.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 06:32:35 pm »
Woohoo!!  ;D I'm glad you won it, we can kind of work on our reupholstery projects together, since our rockers will be very similar. Looking forward to comparing notes as these progress!

You know I really like the white upholstery, how it contrasts with the wood. I was looking for possible white upholstery but couldn't find anything close to our couches. Might have to look again. I have a fabric swatch coming next week on the maroon fabric, but I might go look again for white options.

That's the nice thing about doing your own upholstery, you can change it anytime!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:37:06 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 10:00:52 pm »
Enjoy!  I would take the time to "re - repair" the areas to stabilize.

Nice piece.

Love a good rocker!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 07:21:38 am »
I'm really happy I won it too. Normally I would say it's a little fussy for my taste but for some reason it just speaks to me.  It has a few more cracks than originally thought but nothing that a little love, glue and a clamp wont fix.

I'm looking forward to re-upholstering too Tales.  I think it'll be much easier than my other chair since the lines are straight and there's no corners to work around. It has springs in the seat tho so that'll be a new experience. The rocker springs have definitely been replaced several years ago but still feel good.