Author Topic: What do you guys think these are worth?  (Read 2275 times)

Gleek

• View Profile
What do you guys think these are worth?
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:56:08 pm »
These cast iron duck andirons are marked "Williamsburg Brass Co"  and "E101".  Any thoughts on age or value?  Would you sand them?  They're caked with soot.

waywardangler

Re: What do you guys think these are worth?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:11:16 pm »
Do not sand them.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:58:26 pm »
I found a pair of owl andiorns made by Williamsburg Brass Company (See auction item #577 at the link below) The auction estimate on the owl andirons is $500 - $700.

http://www.icollector.com/auctionprint.aspx?as=1986
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 12:01:46 am »
Oh and most definitely do not sand them. You'll scratch the finish under the soot and devalue them. I think I would start with dish soap and water to take off the worst of the soot, then use Brasso for the heavy stuff. Do you guys agree?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:24:02 am »
Welcome to the forum , Gleek .

A stiff nylon/bristle brush & some liquid Dawn + warm/hot water + elbow grease might do well enough for the job , unless you're planning on refinishing your items .

These were not designed for 'dainty' stuff & often would get funky &/or warped/bent from 'improper use' .
I would not sweat much about cleaning off the soot from unpainted areas , unless lots of rust is present .
You can use a variety of simple products to give a protective coating to your iron item , once it's clean enough for you ... ranging from the simple lamp black , paste wax , mineral oil (& so forth) to specialty coatings .

If the soot on your item(s) is thick/tough to clean , it may be due to it being a 'protective' layer over rust , so proceed scrubbing with a bit of inquisitive caution .

Using a mild solvent is another way to remove soot/carbon on UNPAINTED iron - ones like turpentine , lamp oil etc .

Pressure-washing (atop an old pc. of carpet , etc.) @ the local DIY carwash is another method (again , for the unpainted areas) that some folks would use .

I'd stick to cleaning them with non-metal implements only , if it was my chore to do .

Thanks for posting , Gleek .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 03:40:49 am »
Nice, ...... and I would think ducks are far more collectible than owls.

Can't ya just picture them in a fireplace in a hunting lodge, hotel or restaurant?

Unless you plan on keeping them I wouldn't do any more than wash to soot off of them. Iffen ya start cleaning then buyers start looking for signs of repo. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:02:38 am »
Beautiful andirons !! Absolutely nothing more than soap and water and a good scrubbing !! Anything more and you lose value. Let the buyer clean and polish if they want to but most want the age left on them !!

Gleek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 03:52:49 pm »
thanks for the answers!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:58:11 pm »
Absolutely great advice from the gang!
If you are going to sell them...I wouldn't clean them up.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 03:31:56 am »
If you were over here I'd probably make you an offer for them. Then all that I would do would be give them a good clean, as already suggested, with a stiff nylon brush. Check for any bits of rust (if they've been sitting anywhere damp over the years) and then I would use stove blacking, just because it would then go with our place ... Nice piece, and should fetch a nice price.