Author Topic: Question from a fairly newbie!  (Read 2814 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Question from a fairly newbie!
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:24:08 am »
I have sold a few items on Ebay in the last year and have learned from some hard lessons like setting shipping instead of using calculated shipping and losing big time on that to continuing to relist items over and over until I learned that now it isn't free for the rest of the month  LOL

I am learning as I go but one thing I can't figure out and I have to post an example to explain, is:

Why a certain item will sell at a high bid of $119 10 days ago but there are many of the same item listed for $10 - $12 etc. with no bids.  And I checked - original box etc.

Just boggles my mind.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Question from a fairly newbie!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:54:48 pm »
I have always used calculated shipping with no problems !!  Depends on who is shopping at what time !!  I check out feedback before bidding and even if their item is cheaper,,I won`t buy it if feedback is bad. Also I had rather pay more than be overcharged on shipping !!  There are many little things that make my decision if I am going to bid or not !! If I have a question and its ignored and not answered,, I don`t bid on that persons item !! While that is a pretty big difference in price,, I am sure there was a good reason !!  Also could have been fewer of that item that particular day !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 04:32:25 pm »
Hi Mart,

Yes learning as I go.  So I have this same item that sold for $119 and there are a nice amount of them posted now for $10 and up - same item.  It is a 1971 first edition Hummel plate.  I have 8 of them but obviously the 1st edition is worth more.  It is listed on retail and discount sites at $399 and up.  It is in original box and there is actually a hand written receipt in the box for $1000.  So either my friend's grandmother was really ripped off or they have really depreciated in value.

In any case, now I am stumped on what to list it for.  There are also others listed at a much higher price but no bids.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:36:43 pm »
That explains most of it !!  Hummels were selling like hotcakes years ago but more recently have been going steadily downhill !!  There is more of an interest in the UK than here,, or I should say there used to be more interest !!  There are a few die hard collectors left. But they are difficult to sell if no one is actively collecting them irregardless of the book value !!  As far as the online sites and their prices,, they can ask any amount they want,,,getting that price is another thing entirely !!  Value does not equal todays market prices !!  Hummels are one type of what I consider a fad item !!  Like Beanie Babies !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:55:59 pm »
Well that explains a lot - maybe I will just start midway somewhere or keep watching and just see what happens with the other ones.  Like I said one went for a high bid of $119 on the 12th and there are others not moving.  I must learn patience when working with these items and Ebay.   ::)