Author Topic: A New One On Me  (Read 7371 times)

waywardangler

Re: A New One On Me
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 06:50:39 pm »
RED FLAGS are red for a reason. They mean run like h*ll in the other direction. JMO.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 09:27:23 pm »
Good idea Oceans!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 03:32:37 pm »
Interesting to think that he's attempting to create some type of archival database that could later be sold to Ancestry. Still no reply on if the item is pre-1940 or not. I'm assuming post-1940 otherwise I think I would have had a yes or no answer. It's not about the money so much as I just don't like that I can't get a clear answer from the seller and I hate to reward that kind of behavior by buying his item anyway. It could be that the guy is just a lousy writer. I'll give it a little more time and see if he replies. The only problem is that I don't see one anywhere else, even on Abebooks.com so it's tempting just to do it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:38:09 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 04:53:09 pm »
Yoohoo!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 06:58:21 pm »
LOL I guess I shouldn't give in then!

waywardangler

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 08:56:58 pm »
From what I can gather after reading all his posts, I think you would be buying the actual article as it appeared in the magazine but you would not be buying the whole magazine. He does not deal in copies according to his info. I think he cuts out articles, indexes the names he finds in them, and sells the articles. At $24 a pop, he is making a bundle on one magazine if he sells all the articles from the magazine. I do not think he can answer the date question because that info is not contained in the article's pages. That is on the cover, spine, or content page. I still think he is strange but if he gave you the title and date of the mag, he is worried you will find it elsewhere. I think he is trying to protect his time investment rather than trying to sell the info to Ancestry. The database would only be useful if all the articles are scanned too but I do not think he is doing that, only indexing names in the articles for internet searchers to stumble upon and hopefully buy the article.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 09:35:35 pm »
He did say the magazine was "complete", so I don't think it is cut out, but I could be wrong. I suspect you are right, that he doesn't reveal the name of the magazine or the date to keep buyers from locating the articles elsewhere. Interesting that a Google search turns up no other references to the article though. Must be a small circulation magazine or something. He said it was a western theme magazine. My guess is that it was a low budget publication maybe it was written in the 60's or 70's, looking at the type? Also the author's use of the "Bob" instead of "Robert" seems to indicate a later publication.

waywardangler

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 10:02:29 pm »
I just read his ad on Bidstart and he does say it is complete and in pristine condition, so I am wrong. I do not see how he can be making any money writing all that copy and indexing all that info for one old magazine. I know I would not do it. It sounds like it is some western history magazine like the pulp ones you see on the magazine rack today with articles that are written to entice readers rather than being historically accurate.
The red flag has been withdrawn and a white one has taken its place.