Author Topic: Odd medal I have been trying to track down,,,  (Read 1892 times)

mart

• View Profile
Odd medal I have been trying to track down,,,
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:58:01 pm »
Could use a bit of assistance on this one. Its a medal of sorts 1 1/2 in. across.  Front says Mission Ready,on top and Per aspera ad astra,, below I know that the phrase means" through adversity,, to the stars !! And it is the Kansas state motto but I cannot find anything relating to a medal withn those words.  Could not get a good pic of the back for the glare from lights. Back says "In recognition of outstanding performance"  has two crossed ( looks like torches) but could be something else and the number 2 above, and 18 below, in the space where it V`s from the cross. Anyone familiar with this ??
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:08:56 pm by mart »

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Odd medal I have been trying to track down,,,
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:08:57 pm »
My first thought is that it is not a medal - at least in the military sense.  It seems to be a coin.  In the military Generals and Colonels will hand them out as tokens of appreciation or for extra service when a medal is not warranted.  I can't tell if this is military but is may be some other civil service branch (?).  I can't search right now but will try later.  In the mean time this looks like a good site to start: http://www.militarycoins.com/
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:11:49 pm »
Hubby is retired army,, don`t think its military.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:41 pm »
This refers to several organizations that uses the the saying!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_aspera_ad_astra
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 07:26:31 pm »
Never mind !! Don`t know why I didn`t ask him first. Its for the Kansas nat`l guard. He says 2`nd batallion 18th artillary and those are crossed cannons. Just an award of some sort that probably everyone received !!  Only looked at it for three days trying to figure out what it was for !!!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:29:40 pm »
Hahahaha!!  Probably learned something tho.  Good for him for recognizing right away!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 07:35:58 pm »
Yahoo Mountain Dew!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:05:35 am »
LOL  Yeah !!  Guess he is helpful on occassion !! Even though his interests runs more to guns and old tractors !! I said "why didn`t you tell me",, answer ?? "You didn`t ask "!!  Duh !!!!