Author Topic: A vase with a mark i've been trying to figure out for about a year.  (Read 2102 times)

bob535

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, but I doubt it will be my last, hope you don't mind. :D I really try to research my items, but sometimes I just can not find anything on them.

I got this vase one day when I went with my mom to the Goodwill about a year ago. For some reason it just kept calling out "buy me!!" I thought it was really cool looking, because there is a picture pained on it, but you can't really see the picture until light hits it a certain way, and the mark on the bottom (because it looked hand carved) told me this was made by someone who knew what they were doing, and then signed their name on the bottom. Not like something a high school student made in crafting class.

To me the mark looks like it says "Louie" and then under that "GLR" but I can find no info on that info.

Here are some pics. Any info on the mark would be much appreciated. Info on the value would be a plus, but if I have mark info that would be a good enough lead to research value. thanks in advance!!

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: A vase with a mark i've been trying to figure out for about a year.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:44:01 pm »
Hi Bob535 it looks to me like it says LOVE  GLR  I would guess placed by the person who bought it as a gift.  Beautiful piece and very nicely done but with no makers mark very hard to track down.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:54:54 pm »
I doubt that you will find anything on your piece. It would bet its a piece that someone did in a china painting class. That is the reason for the scratched or inscribed signature. That would have been done when it was painted, then it is fired in the kiln !!  China painting classes used to be very popular but not many hobby shops anymore.  Now most have small kilns at home.  I used to have many china painting books and that type pattern is in most of them.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:02:20 pm »
I agree, it looks like "love" to me also.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:05:08 pm »
I agree it says Love and also that it was a piece done in a pottery/china class and not a commercial piece.

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:26:30 pm »
Hmm you might be right. I guess the reason I thought it said Louie is there was a dot above the O which I thought might have been a fast dotting of the I. But now that I look at it again the two dots before and after the GLR and the dot above the O form a perfect triangle...would those be marks from what it sat on while being fired??

Thanks again for the replies.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:32:50 pm »
They would indeed but I can`t remember what they are called. I bet your vase is one that was done as a gift and signed LOVE, GLR !!  Its a beautiful vase and much more interesting being handmade than anything mass produced.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 02:55:06 pm »
This is typically called a ginger jar.

Betting it is a home made one!

Apparently the person who it was made for either didn't feel the same as the maker....or has passed on and the family didn't feel the same!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 08:47:46 am »
Ahhh a ginger jar. Thanks for that, I had no idea.

I had the same thought about "someone not feeling the same" after I found out it said Love...lol.