Author Topic: Antique dresser / looks like something from the 20's? Please Help identify??  (Read 2606 times)

jabiloxi

• View Profile
Ok,

Here is the Dresser I just acquired this past week that has me really confused.  It looks like it could be a really nice piece but i am not sure about the age and type.  Also, i have no idea what the value on something liek this might be, or even how to sell it.  Would it be best to consign maybe??

Anyways, please let me know if anyone here has any ideas on this piece.  It was extremely tough to move.  Thanks!

hosman321

• View Profile
Now that is pretty darn cool. Really art deco-ish and stylish. My guess would be the 40's? Not quite mid-centurn modern (50's), but maybe just going into the 50's. I could see someone paying good money for it if it were refinished and sold in a big city. Most people outside the city probably won't appreciate it for what it is and will see it as outdated junk, sadly. Curious to see what others say!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:17:13 pm by hosman321 »

mart

• View Profile
Got to go with Hosman321b on your dresser, 40ish, art deco in style. Very old Hollywood !! Looks like mahogony !!   Could be why its so heavy.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:38:51 pm by mart »

jabiloxi

• View Profile
Where would I go get these refinished?  Also are there any good auction venues on the west coast ( I am in Sacramento) where I could consign something like this?  I am becoming good at finding this stuff but still need to learn what to do with it once I get it.

mart

• View Profile
Unless you want to spend more that what it would bring if sold,, better learn to do it yourself.  Even then, not sure if a beginner would have the expertise to make it sell. And it is missing a piece of the veneer from the front.  You need woodworking tools and equipment to replace that as well as knowing how to do it.  I would advise you to remember that condition is everything when dealing with vintage pieces !!  Try to get items that are basically in good shape so you can freshen up a bit, without major overhauls, then try to turn a profit !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Stanley was a really popular popular brand in the 30's to 40's - made affordable for the masses and believe yours is from that time line.

Agree with mart's comments....if you want to make any profit at all, or cut even, you need to learn how to refinish yourself.  If you pay to refinish...you will pay more than it is worth. 

Like that art deco style...and it is still popular with late highschool/college/young adult age group - plus a select group of adults not only because of the looks but because it isn't in high demand that it is very affordable.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
I know what I wouyld do with it if I were you !!  I would put a high gloss paint on it, probably black or deep red and then sell it. Ordinarily I would not say to do that but you already bought it, can`t take it back, so you just need to move it out. It will appeal to a certain group if in a useable shape !! Might have to use a vibrating sander to smooth the area where the veneer is missing and those edges.