Author Topic: Broken chair-what should I do?  (Read 5264 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Broken chair-what should I do?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 09:29:58 pm »
In my opinion, something that old is never garbage. Even with a broken leg. I don't see it being worth more than $40 with a repair that significant. Would have been worth a bit more without the break but still under $100 in perfect condition. So, it won't be worth a fortune after you fix it, but it won't be landfill-worthy either. If you don't like the idea of repairing it, which is understandable, then I'd list it for free (Or under $20) on Craigslist. Good luck!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 08:16:47 am »
I like it!  I would gander at fixing it!

I would glue with screws added for support and I WOULDN"T take off the rest of the piece unless absolutely necessary.  If it is still there and you can't wiggle it as it is now....then I doubt that it is loose and will remain firm long after you and I leave this earth!

I also agree with the others that this was a flaw in the leg that just finally couldn't keep it's grasp...and fortunately noone was on it when it gave way.

You would be surprised how sturdy just a bit of glue can make things if done right!!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 05:47:23 pm »
Pretty much agree with Hosman.  Check out how many chairs are available on your local Craigslist as that will dictate demand IMO.  If there are lots, then you won't get much ($20 or less in my area).  I watch ours for chairs specifically and there are many so lots of choice.  Most wont want a repaired chair when they can get one for just a little more.

As far as the type of chair, the closest I can get is Duncan Phyfe style which is pretty generic since a) his style is still made today b) probably most mis-identified which I may be perpetuating.  You can google and decide or maybe others have better ideas..

Good luck!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey