Author Topic: Silver Coin  (Read 1721 times)

foxeygma

• View Profile
Silver Coin
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:37:53 pm »
Boy Have I missed not being here,but at 58 I decided to go back to school .Anyway I have a classmate who is  carrying  around a 1893 Lady Liberty S .Grandma gave it to her and was wondering if I knew anythig.(could that be because I am the oldest in the class lol) Told her I could get some idea for her .Thanks will check back later

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Silver Coin
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:29:33 pm »
Hi,
Although I come from the wrong side of the pond I did collect silver dollars (Morgan, Peace and Trade) for many years, now all I have left are a few of my late father's silver dollars and a small collection of type 1 gold dollars ... but what is a '1893 Lady Liberty S' ?   

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:34:07 pm »
I have the same question also, mario, as I just Googled "1893 Lady Liberty S". It is either a nickel or maybe a coin from the Columbia Exposition. Not enough info to produce any results. At any rate, if it is being carried around, it is not uncirculated, probably not M,VF or even F. A pic of front and back would be helpful. I hope it doesn't end up in a vending machine.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:06:14 pm »
1893 was the year that the dime went from a full-length, "Seated Liberty" design to a Barber Liberty image which is just her head.

Here is an 1893 Barber dime:

You need to specify the denomination of the coin- Dime, half-dime, dollar, half-dollar etc. as it makes a big difference. Just so happens I have an 1888 Seated Liberty on a chain around my neck as we speak. Mine was modified into a "love token" with the obverse filed smooth and engraved for a sweetheart.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:10:34 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:57:50 pm »
Sorry Guys ,posted that rather quickly.It is a one dollar piece

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:47:07 pm »
Hi, So it seems that your friend possibly has a Morgan Dollar minted in San Francisco, hence the 's'?

If it is the 1893 is a key date. There are plenty of sites out there that will tell you the value of Morgan Dollars, but here's one which tells you a little more about the coins.

http://www.coinlink.com/News/us-coins/key-date-san-francisco-mint-morgan-dollars/